Af05e rod bearings

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Komeuppance
Noob
Noob

Af05e rod bearings

Post by Komeuppance »

Seems like finding a replacement big end rod bearing through the Honda parts numbers is not available any longer.

Are you guys using measurements to compare with a bearing supplier to get a suitable replacement?
1985 Aero 50RR
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Af05e rod bearings

Post by Meatball »

Go for a new crank...if the big end bearing failed, the rod big end and/or crank pin is also jacked up. Just gonna eat up the new bearing.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Komeuppance
Noob
Noob

Post by Komeuppance »

Thanks, you bring up a good point. Where can one get a new crank, as those are unavailable as well?

I have some bottom ends that have a bit of play and are higher miles, considering rebuilding those. If it's not cost effective, swapping to an af16 or af18 is the next plan.
1985 Aero 50RR
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Well, cranks can be had from overseas. Finding the proper one and paying dearly for shipping puts it in the “not worth it” category, in my opinion. If you had spare motors laying around with simply bad crank bearings then that would be a viable option for the very low cost of bearings/labor.

Of course, swapping to af16/18 is the best overall option but certainly most expensive. Where this choice pays off is later down the road when you need to repair or want to modify....parts are readily available and options are endless. In bone stock form, the af16/18 and the variated AF05 are very similar in top speed and performance. About 40mph in unrestricted form. Add a few easy “bolt-on’s to the 16/18’ and 50 is pretty easliy achieved.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.