Honda gyro Leaking Oil

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Steven T.
BMX
BMX

Re: Honda gyro Leaking Oil

Post by Steven T. »

I have a question about the gyro the first generation I think it's a 84. I have one that will not turn over that I'm trying to diagnose. My question is does anyone know exactly what kind of plastic the fairings are on this? There are a few that are cracked and I would like to repair them but I do not know what kind of material it is nor do I know what kind of product to use to repair the cracks. Can anyone help with the knowledge of what to use and what kind of plastic it is? Thank you all for your help in answering my question and my past questions I sincerely appreciate you!
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

ive seen people have good success with a soldering iron and metal wire mesh. the key is to only heat the surface. heating the whole piece all the way through distorts the panel
Steven T.
BMX
BMX

Post by Steven T. »

I have a blue 84 I believe Honda gyro. Does anyone know what the plastic fairings are made out of like what kind of plastic? And a better question is does anyone know what kind of material repairs cracked Plastics on those 84 Gyros?
Steven T.
BMX
BMX

Post by Steven T. »

So I installed new exhaust gasket on Elite and I can still cover exhaust and I doesn't die. Any idea why?
Steven T.
BMX
BMX

Post by Steven T. »

Does Honda Spree front plastic fit on 84 Gyro?
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

no. lower mounting bolts are on the side on a spree and in front on the gyro
Steven T.
BMX
BMX

Post by Steven T. »

Thank you harleyracer59. I just checked gear case oil and YES it does have 2-stroke oil mixed with it. It was completely full. Now I will try to locate a shaft seal. Thank you for your knowledge! I will post again when I fix, fail, or need more help. I also want to thank all those Gyro lovers out there.
Steven T.
BMX
BMX

Post by Steven T. »

I disconnected my auto oiler on my 1985 Honda Gyro. Now I want to premix the gas. Question I have is how much oil to gas? Anyone know the ratio?
Steven T.
BMX
BMX

Post by Steven T. »

I was just reading past posts on Gyros. What all do I need to do to bypass the auto oiler? I don't want to hurt my bike. K want to do it correct. Should I continue my search for auto oiler seal & O ring? Granger didn't have them and couldn't order them. Figured by pass was my best option. Now I am doubting myself after post I read about auto oiler putting out different amounts of fuel to oil ratio?!?! And maybe needing to block oiler because of vacuum??? I am so confused now PLEASE HELP!!!!

P.S. I would post picks of someone would please explain how to do so.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

I searched a little last night. I know people have rebuilt the oil pumps before. and from what I remember. the pumps are pretty much similar. the big difference on the gyro being its longer shaft. but the shaft diameter is thw same I believe. ill look around my mess today. I know I have an oil pump around here I can tear into. if you have a micrometer. or search it here. the measurements needed are the id od and width of a seal from a spree aero ect. if you block it off and go premix, just cap off tank, inlet/outlet of pump and manifold nipple. that's it. the pump is on a throttle to keep up with the carb. it pumps the same MIXTURE an idle and wot. not amount. hope that makes sense.
Leave the case breather nipple open. this vents the gearcase. any vacuum on this gearcase nipple would be caused by a bad right side crank seal. the pressure at this nipple is caused by heat from clutches and gears meshing. this is normal
the oiler can be pulled off a gyro and still run fine on premix because it is driven through the gearcase and a any plug air tight or not would not affect crank case operation.
on all the other honda scooters, the pump is driven through the crankcase. these need to be blocked off with an airtight seal. but not the gyros, for the reasons I just explained. any other questions let us know. hope you get it figured out.
Steven T.
BMX
BMX

Post by Steven T. »

I saw and so did Granger people the numbers for the size on the seal. I hopefully just ordered the correct parts from a local Honda shop. If its not correct parts then I will run prefix as I've already reasembled bike for it anyway. I reinstalled auto oiler without shaft and seal. I think that would work. Drained oil reservoir and reinstalled all lines. From what you wrote me I believe I should pull the Uturn looking oil line and block off with nipples? I sincerely appreciate you responded.

What is the premix fuel to oil ratio I need to run it without oiler???
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

I think the u shaped line is correct. it was/is clear. goes between the pump and the intake manifold. plug/cap these two nipples once line is removed.
I think its 40:1 but id search for a definitive answer.
can you post the # you pulled off the seal? it should look something like 5+- X 15+- X 4+-? radial shaft seal
Steven T.
BMX
BMX

Post by Steven T. »

I can't find an answer for correct cool to oil mixture anywhere. I've spent at least two hours trying. Help by someone who has/is riding a Gyro that premix they're gas would be much appreciated.

As for number on seal they are as follows ...... 9.5 x 16 x 4
Steven T.
BMX
BMX

Post by Steven T. »

So far so good. I will ride Gyro for quite a few more miles before I am satisfied it is fixed. Here is why.....when I got parts from Honda the seal that I last gave specks on came in a much bigger outside diameter size. I currently reinstalled old seal with new O ring and new from Honda seal. If I could figure out how to post pictures I have pictures for anyone who may be curious. I am not a mechanic but I do like to try. Reason I say this is because I think what I have done might fix my problem. The little ride I just took was night and day difference. Gyro has so much more powers. Yes I bled self oiler pump and primed it too. I even ran it off and on multiple times before I took it for a ride. I would like to post pictures if anyone can tell me how. Thank you so much for your help! I promise to keep you all informed on what happens on a longer ride.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

glad to hear it man. so the honda seal was of a larger OD? Did you measure the new seal to see how far off the # was?