2001 SA50P Elite Transmission Cover/Gasket Help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Mrog1141
Noob
Noob

2001 SA50P Elite Transmission Cover/Gasket Help

Post by Mrog1141 »

Hey everyone, new to the site, so thanks in advance for the help.

I recently bought new 9.8 secondary gears for my SA50P. I had the 42T gear pressed on with no issues, reinstalled all the washers properly, but when I put it all back together (with a new aftermarket gasket), the case closes to the point where the rear axle or clutch shaft won't spin freely anymore. Has anyone had an issue with this as well? I have double-checked that I have all the correct washers in place, but I think the aftermarket gasket is much thinner than an OEM one. Looking to see if anyone has any insight to how I can get this solved so that I can get back on the road. Thanks 👍.
Last edited by Mrog1141 on Wed May 08, 2019 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 2001 SA50P Elite Transmission Cover/Gasket Help

Post by Meatball »

This is typical of aftermarket gears. First try removing the plastic (nylon) washer and assembling without it. Some people have reported this as fixing the issue. Myself, I shaved the plastic washer to about half thickness and it worked like a charm. Some concern has been raised about the integrity of a half thick washer but I have over 5000mi on mine with no problems. Running without the washer entirely is also a friction concern.

Other times, the new gear is actually binding on the inside of the gear case and this can be discovered by seeing a small half-moon rub mark inside. In THIS case, youd need to add a tiny washer to the axle against the inner bearing race to shim the gear away from the case. These issues have been covered before and there are posted threads about them. Search em up.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

THIS POST IS FROM 1man8scoots. HE SAYS DEPENDING ON WHAT YEAR/GEAR COVER YOU HAVE DETERMINES IF THE PLASTIC WASHER IS NEEDED.
Re: upgraded gears in the AF16E motor
Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:49 am

Also the reason your engine didn't have a thrust washer on the end of the final output shaft is because you have a different year, 98ish+ use a different gear cover than your 97. And there is a parts manual for your year specifically. No bearing on the gear cover and a thrust washer is a must, bearing on the gear cover and no thrust washer can be used.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Mrog1141
Noob
Noob

Post by Mrog1141 »

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. Here is what I did to solve the problem.

I found that the aftermarket trans gasket was much thinner than the OEM Honda. I figured the thin gasket was making the case close too much and pinching it. I bonded 2 of the thin gaskets together with gasket sealer, and installed the cover back on with no issues. Put 45 miles on it today and no leaks. Chalk up the added possibility that thinner aftermarket gaskets could be a reason the gears lock up when closed.
Last edited by Mrog1141 on Wed May 08, 2019 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mrog1141
Noob
Noob

Post by Mrog1141 »

And yes my 2001 has the plastic thrust washer and metal thrust washer. Parts diagram shows that both are supposed to be installed.