‘86 nq50 was running a week ago but now won’t start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mcfeelin
Noob
Noob

‘86 nq50 was running a week ago but now won’t start

Post by mcfeelin »

Here’s what I know
Carb cleaned in the recent past, new spark plug, battery, and coil, stock air filter recently installed, (got the bike with a motorcycle air filter) injector oil drained out and replaced with new gn2, gear case oil also drained and replaced fan blades purchased and installed, and the loose carb housing fixed. I tried checking the spark with the last coil but not the new one. Air mixture screw has been moved and then reset so i don’t know what it was at when it was running. Ask me anything, really could use the help.
Last edited by mcfeelin on Tue May 21, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonesv

Re: ‘86 nq50 was running a week ago but now won’t start

Post by bonesv »

What’s an impeller?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

bonesv wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:20 pm What’s an impeller?

Code: Select all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeller

An impeller is a rotating component of a centrifugal pump which transfers energy from the motor that drives the pump to the fluid being pumped by accelerating the fluid outwards from the center of rotation.
So like, maybe it's the oil pump? :eyeroll:
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I was sure he was referring to a part like that but of his own "description". Wonder where he'd get a spree oil pump? If that's the case, and he didn't prime the pump and the lines, it's no wonder why it doesn't run now.

Anyways, I looked and it shows he has not signed in since he made this first post.....
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I think hes working on an outboard boat motor. Those impellers commonly wear out over time. Its what makes water cycle through to cool the motor. A 50hp Mercury would be a sweet Spree swap! :lol:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
mcfeelin
Noob
Noob

Post by mcfeelin »

Ok so the impeller is a fan you ding dongs. instead of blowing (like all of you^) it draws air in. Seriously i just need some ideas here. and no, i didnt screw with the oil pump
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

:lol: :lol:

We know, we're just messin with ya!!

:lol: :lol:

But anyways, turn the carb 2 & 1/2 turns out as your starting point. When you say oil was drained out and replaced, did you bleed the line? Very important.

When you say "LOOSE CARB HOUSING FIXED" this kind of catches my attention. Could you post an image of your setup for reference? If you can't figure out how to do it with the forum image upload tool, you can just link to https://postimages.org/
mcfeelin
Noob
Noob

Post by mcfeelin »

https://postimg.cc/TKTNMKxg The bolt holding the housing up was stripped. She’s had a rough life. And I did check to make sure it was pumping oil while she was running. She is so that’s good. All I did was take the line off the oil reservoir, drain the old stuff and put in new stuff
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

So, I can see that the bolt used to fix the carb spacer is different then a normal Spree bolt. That looks somewhat suspect even though it might be fine. Are the O-rings for the spacer in place? Might have an air leak. The bolt on the left looks almost loose (but don't try over tightning it, just asking).

eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

There are 2 different sizes for those carb bolts and size does matter, makes me wonder how long that replacement bolt is and if it could be causing an issue.
mcfeelin
Noob
Noob

Post by mcfeelin »

So the other bolt was stripped. I don’t believe I have it anymore as it was doing a * job at holding the carb on, and was only a few hundredths of an inch shorter than the new one. It was leaking fuel, that seemed to stop it. And the other bolt is tight. I never saw an o-ring or a spacer when I took it off. I
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Ah, I think we have the problem figured out then, or at least can narrow it down a bit.

You need part # 91304-GB0-910 (#17 in the image)

https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oempart ... e-oil-pump

mcfeelin
Noob
Noob

Post by mcfeelin »

Okay I ordered the part, but I’m very very curious what your thought process is.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Mine personally, is if everything is in spec, even down to a simple bolt, it will run. No if's ands or buts.
mcfeelin
Noob
Noob

Post by mcfeelin »

ATTENTION!!! I caved and took it to a shop. the only issue preventing her from starting and running was the STATOR!! The issue was most likely caused in part by an aftermarket CDI doing damage over time. Thanks to all who helped me out :smile: