86 Honda Spree won't start I've tried everything

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Re: 86 Honda Spree won't start I've tried everything

Post by joseneedshelp »

Another thing to note is the oil is pitch black. Can this a contributor to it not starting?
Also Gaskets got here i’m just not sure how they work. The surfaces are as clean as i will be able to get them but i’m not sure how to apply these gaskets. Do i peel something? Or do i have to add one of the sealants you guys mentioned.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The paper gaskets can just go in dry with no sealants needed. The mating surfaces are machined flat with tight tolerances to ensure a good seal with only the paper. Always torque bolts to spec gradually in a crossing pattern to ensure the parts will mate squarely to each other. If using a metal gasket, a spacer or the mating surfaces have imperfections...THEN a sealant should be used.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

joseneedshelp wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:32 pm Okay so the engine is off and i cleaned it up a bit. Where is the oil suppose to come out of? When i flip it nothing comes out unless i lean it towards this black rubber house then little drops of oil drip. Am I suppose to just drain it from that hose?
Any thoughts on this?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

If you have oil pooling in the bottom of your crankcase, it will pour out of whatever opening there is. Depending if you have the cylinder jug removed, oil pump removed, intake/reed block removed, etc...you can take any of those off and dump.
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

Oil pump and intake and jug are all off but no oil is coming out, only out of the black rubber hose
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

So i figured there probably wasn’t any oil since nothing was coming out. I tried to put on the new gaskets but i can’t get the piston inside the cylinder jug, are my rings bad? They are a bit loose in the piston idk if this is normal. When i took off the rings the jug slid right in but with the rings i couldn’t get it in regardless of what i did.
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

I also just got half of a honda ruckus for free( the back half with the engine and wheel and all of the wiring) is there anything i can use from there on the spree or should i just throw it away
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

In each ring groove of the piston is a tiny pin. Each ring has to be rotated until the break in the ring is aligned with the pins or it wont fully compress to fit in the cylinder. It takes patience to get them both in the right spot, squeeze them with your fingers and slide it on.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

He needs to YouTube it for some help if he’s never done this before. Rings can break easily if not carefully assembled into the bore and it’s important not to get anything dropped into the crankcase like part of a broken ring. Don't forget to put the base gasket on before you install the bore onto the piston.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

Just got it on, thank you for the help. Tuesday some parts get here like a new plug an air filter and new choke and i’ll try turning it on.
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

Okay so everything is together, for the oil pump. Can i grind the teeth and later buy a new shaft and roll with that? Or is there no turning back after grinding them also how do you grind them lol
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

Put it all back together and did all you guys said, even changed the fuel line and filter plus a new bistarter and it still won’t turn on. should i try splashing a little fuel into the piston? Now it won’t even turn on with starter fluid
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Spray a little brake cleaner down the spark plug shaft and see if she wants to start. The carb bowl is probably empty.
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

Don’t have brake cleaner can i use starter fluid?
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

Okay so i got some brake cleaner and sprayed a bit there and nothing. Spark is good but nothing happened