86 Honda Spree won't start I've tried everything

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

86 Honda Spree won't start I've tried everything

Post by joseneedshelp »

About a week ago I bought a spree and took it home. Started up just fine and rode it for about 15 minutes and then my little cousin wanted to get on so i put him on my lap and rode about 10 feet before it shut off and it wouldn't turn on after that. Later that day i did some research and saw some potential causes so i got to work over the last week. So here are things i've checked/done so far
-Took out the spark plug and tested the spark on some ground and gave spark.
-Got a new battery because the other one was dead and it cranks like crazy but it won't have any signs of turning on
-Took out the carb 3 times and have deep cleaned it by soaking it in some carb cleaner and using compressed air on all the jets. I also checked out all the holes possible and they all looked good.
-It doesn't have a oil tank it runs on 32 to 1 mixture so I wanted to see how the petcock was doing and it seems to be releasing fuel after i suck in on the vacuum hose.
-I put some starter fluid in the back of the carb and it fired up for probably less than 3 seconds and it revved up super high and then died out.
-Put my thumb in the spark plug hole and I felt solid compression also when pressing on the kickstarter with the spark plug in I felt some good resistance.
I dont know where to go from here please let me know of any other possible things it could be.
motormike

Re: 86 Honda Spree won't start I've tried everything

Post by motormike »

First thing...remove the bystarter from the carb. (The electric choke-like item)
Measure accurately the length of the brass needle.
Connect the two wires to the battery, one on each terminal...either way is fine.
Observe the brass needle for a couple minutes
Re-measure the brass needle and confirm it has become slightly longer by a 1/4 inch or so.
If yes, it is good.
If no change it is bad. A bad bystarter will give very difficult time starting.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

The needle did not move but it is also extended out as much as possible so I don't think it can go out any further
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

Tried it again and the needle is getting shorter because the round thing its inside is dropping down
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

Couple things to add. I stuck a voltmeter inside where the bystarter connects and it was reading like .3 volts and I also cranked the engine with the fuel line off and nothing came out of the petcock
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Pull fuel and vac lines off carb. Leave both connected to the petcock. Put fuel line end into a jug to catch fuel. Put suction on the bac line and see if you have flow.

If you have NO flow, check both lines and petcock openings for blockage. Then remove petcock and pull out the in-tank filter for blockage. If all looks good, its a bad petcock.

If you HAVE flow, check for blockage at the vac connection by the carb/intake...if all clear, figure out why your motor isnt sucking.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

I think i mentioned this in the OP but fuel drips when I suck on the vac line, so does this mean the motor isn't sucking in any fuel?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

joseneedshelp wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:17 pm I think i mentioned this in the OP but fuel drips when I suck on the vac line, so does this mean the motor isn't sucking in any fuel?
It could mean that the filter is clogged. Drain the gas tank, remove the petcock and the filter directly above it. Inspect, gently clean and reinstall parts. Fill tank 1/2 full with fresh gas and do the test again. https://shop.hondabikes.com/fiche_secti ... fveh=14180
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I believe the first post in this thread established that the petcock was functional. A proper compression test is necessary - the Thumb Test is not very reliable. Not much harder than removing the spark plug and you'll have an answer. Keep the throttle open wide or remove the carburetor (but not the reed block) to test.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

Will a cheap compression tester from walmart work for this or should i take it somewhere ?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I got mine at Harbor Freight for crazy-cheap. Just make sure you follow procedure correctly, open throttle, read when the needle stops climbing.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

Okay so i couldn't follow the instructions word by word because the scooter doesn't run but I did crank the engine with the throttle fully open and it went up to about 40 psi. Tried it again just to double check and it went to around 35
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

I lied, I did it two more times and it came to 75
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

bonesv wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:38 pm
joseneedshelp wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:17 pm I think i mentioned this in the OP but fuel drips when I suck on the vac line, so does this mean the motor isn't sucking in any fuel?
It could mean that the filter is clogged. Drain the gas tank, remove the petcock and the filter directly above it. Inspect, gently clean and reinstall parts. Fill tank 1/2 full with fresh gas and do the test again. https://shop.hondabikes.com/fiche_secti ... fveh=14180
I took his explanation that "the fuel drips" to mean it was not flowing, just dripping fuel instead.

75 psi compression is bad. It could be stuck rings? What kind of oil is being used? It could also be a broken reed valve? I guess you might have to disassemble and do an inspection. I would secure a gasket kit and piston rings first in case everything else is good.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
joseneedshelp
Goped
Goped

Post by joseneedshelp »

Doing that right now, also how much fuel should be coming out?