Need some help on buying the correct af18 engine

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

airbats801
Noob
Noob

Need some help on buying the correct af18 engine

Post by airbats801 »

I'm going to be helping a friend swap in a af18 engine into his 1984 aero 50. I cant quite seemt o figure out which years had the big crank with the big ports. I'm trying to avoid the small crank af18.

I think I'm looking for a af27/af28 super dio zx engine but im not 100% sure. I'm importing it from japan, so it would be nice to get it right the first time as it isn't going to be very cheap.
bonesv

Re: Need some help on buying the correct af18 engine

Post by bonesv »

airbats801 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:04 pm I'm going to be helping a friend swap in a af18 engine into his 1984 aero 50. I cant quite seemt o figure out which years had the big crank with the big ports. I'm trying to avoid the small crank af18.

I think I'm looking for a af27/af28 super dio zx engine but im not 100% sure. I'm importing it from japan, so it would be nice to get it right the first time as it isn't going to be very cheap.
The af18 motor has a pulse port below the oil pump and is designed to pump fuel from a floor mounted tank so that won't work for the aero fuel tank which is gravity/vacuum feed, and besides, the af16 cranks are the same as the "big" dio crank so why not just find a 94-01 af16 and save time and money and frustration? The af18 case ports are also the same as the af16. The cylinders are the same and the driveline parts are the same as af16. The other differences on the dio were the intake/carb, exhaust pipe and air box, and location of the stator/mag and exciter coil on the small case side so the fan shroud is different too.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
airbats801
Noob
Noob

Post by airbats801 »

If there was a easy af16 available locally I would consider it. A quick look has turned up nothing, and engines are plentiful on yja. I figured a af18 as they have double bearings in the trans I believe, and might as well get an 18 with everything.

the ports not a big deal, you just seal it up and we are going aftermarket carb/intake which already has the vac port.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Yea you just plug up the pulse port. Look for the af28 dio motor. af35 is the horiz motor
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
airbats801
Noob
Noob

Post by airbats801 »

thanks, found a few. Will be putting a bid in soon :)
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Be careful the af24 is the small end crank. I have bought from dreams_cafe 1106 and city_453. Both are good with me. I would not trust other sellers description or shipping practices. Good Luck!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX