1985 Honda Gyro Petcock

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dsandwich
BMX
BMX

1985 Honda Gyro Petcock

Post by dsandwich »

Hi folks,
I have developed a pretty decent leak from my 1985 Honda Gyro petcock. I would like to replace it (preferred) or rebuild it with a direct match, so I can continue to keep the scoot as stock as possible. I can't find one for sale. Just wondering if anyone has a viable solution.
Thank you. Ride safe!
motormike

Re: 1985 Honda Gyro Petcock

Post by motormike »

Can't keep the OEM knob, but a manual petcock can be fitted.
The example I've seen has the hole opened up a little to accommodate access.
It looks like "a-$-$"
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: 1985 Honda Gyro Petcock

Post by vintagegarage »

I have had good luck with this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-FUEL-PET ... iL&vxp=mtr

With that said, the screws in the kit are too short, so you need to source longer screws. The large o-ring may not be of the correct shape, but it works. The large o-ring is the seal for the inspection bowl. I am not sure that the original large o-ring really has a round cross section, as all of them I have seen have been smashed over time, but they may well have started out round. I don't know. The large o-ring in the kit does work though. It is unclear what is the purpose of the small o-ring. I decided that it must surround the long oil filter that goes up into the fuel tank. It may work for that, but the fuel filter usually already comes with one with a smaller cross section. The bottom line is that normally all you need is the four hole rubber part. You drill out the rivets, drill and tap the rivet holes, and replace the rivets with screws. If your petcock leaks internally, it is because the four hole rubber piece has gone bad. A fairly light spring holds the handle part of the valve against the four hole rubber. If you pull lightly on the valve handle to compress the spring, the valve will leak, so make sure that when mounted, the valve handle is able to spring in easily to fully contact the four hole rubber.

If you want to save a couple of dollars, just get the four hole rubber.. since you have to buy your own screws anyway, and the other o-rings in the kit mostly aren't needed, you can find a four hole rubber here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... itleDesc=0