1999 Elite SR - No lights & starts without brake lever pressed

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tuckerdont
Noob
Noob

1999 Elite SR - No lights & starts without brake lever pressed

Post by tuckerdont »

edit: ended up replacing the harness, that fixed it for some reason.
Last edited by tuckerdont on Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
tuckerdont
Noob
Noob

Re: 1999 Elite SR - No lights & starts without brake lever pressed

Post by tuckerdont »

I’ve replaced the spark plug with a BR6HSA as well, the one in the scooter when I bought it was a BR4HSA.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

The headlight usually burns out the low beam first. Did the taillight and brake light work after you changed the bulb? Maybe one of the brake switches is stuck?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
tuckerdont
Noob
Noob

Post by tuckerdont »

bonesv wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:18 pm The headlight usually burns out the low beam first. Did the taillight and brake light work after you changed the bulb? Maybe one of the brake switches is stuck?
Nope, still no lights after the new bulb. Not sure what this guy sold me but it’s running way worse than when I rode it before. It was starting first try with the button, but now it’ll only start if you give it some throttle. Then run for 20 seconds and die. The new plug is wet, too. In the short afternoon i’ve owned this thing, i’ve dumped both tanks, replaced the spark plug, and replaced the air filter, and now it won’t stay running
Last edited by tuckerdont on Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I'd say remove the instrument/speedometer cowl and check all the lighting connections. If everything is in good order there then you will have to pull the seat bucket out and remove rear rack to remove the body panels which will get you a look at the taillight connections along side the fuel tank. I use long-nosed pliers to make those bullet-style connections and one of yours could be loose and causing your trouble. As far the carburetor is concerned, you probably already know it just needs a proper cleaning. I have bought quite a few old sa50's and not one had been kept in good order and had to be gone over before I would trust it to get me "there and back".
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The two elements of the headlight can easily be tested by using jumper wires on each terminal from a 12v source. This eliminates the possibility of a bad light. Same with taillight. Then use a multimeter at the brake switch to check that. Give your harness a good look while paying close attention to detail for any wonky wiring work the previous owner may have done. Possible grounding issue to cause weak spark. I hate wiring gremlins. The jury is still out on weither thats the case here. Good luck.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
tuckerdont
Noob
Noob

Post by tuckerdont »

edit: ended up replacing the harness, that fixed it for some reason.