NQ50 hydro-lock

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Spreezer
Noob
Noob

NQ50 hydro-lock

Post by Spreezer »

Found my '84 was hydro-locked. Am draining per meatballs post. It's working.
Photo...
'84 NQ50 in Vista Blue eh
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: NQ50 hydro-lock

Post by Meatball »

Great work! Get as much out as you can with plenty of tip overs. Rotate the crank by hand a few times to promote a few more drips. Once youve milked the cow for all she’s worth, put it together and run that baby!

Pay close attention when bolting the carb back on. The shorter bolt goes in the front closest to you. Get it backwards and the longer bolt will dig into the carb body and cause damage. The torque on those two carb bolts is very light. Do NOT over-tighten them or the soft aluminum threads will easily strip.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Holy cow is that alot of oil!! For sure you'll wanna be changing out that ring on the pump.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I have dealt with this issue before and found that if I pull the exhaust off, pull out the oil pump, pour a half cup of gasoline in the oil pump hole then use rags to keep the stuff from spraying all over while cranking on the kick-starter, it takes no time at all to to remove the oil from the case. It seemed to me to be easier than other methods I had used before. Just my 2 centavos amigos!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Spreezer
Noob
Noob

Post by Spreezer »

That would have been about 3 years worth. Here is all that was left after the last tip-over.. photo
Spreezer
Noob
Noob

Post by Spreezer »

Drained. Everything cleaned. Left cylinder etc alone Never touched oil pump or intake manifold. Baked exhaust in chimenea and hope to reuse gasket. 3 small holes in pipe, 2 in fin. Wrap it? Searching for best first start attempt procedure. Have a spray bottle
Photos..

Spreezer
Noob
Noob

Post by Spreezer »

Maybe I'll run the meatball premix first method to make sure oil pump is primed. And just suck on petcock vacumn to fill carb. It's not been rebuilt so oil mix should be?
Spreezer
Noob
Noob

Post by Spreezer »

Anxious to just try it at this point but my exhaust gasket has no outer material like the one in noiseguys gasket kit.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Oil mix is 32:1 or 40:1...Ive ran both with no difference on stock mill. If youre handy with a welder you can patch up the holes with some scrap plate steel. If not, Id just run it as-is till you can get a good replacement. Sooner than later.

The gaskets Noisyguy has are different than the stock ring. Both get the job done quite well. No need to worry about sealing that connection too much with a swiss cheese pipe. Get a new ring when you replace/repair your muffler.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Spreezer
Noob
Noob

Post by Spreezer »

Thanks for info.
My gasket looks like this .... Photo
And had some aluminum tape for exhaust...photo
Found throttle cable was seized so had to free it up. Filled with PB Blaster and got lucky. Just had to remove some more plastic.
Photo...

Screws on throttle control are another roadblock ie. Locked in.
One step forward, two back
Spreezer
Noob
Noob

Post by Spreezer »

Ok it started. Used drill and spray bottle. Thanks for the help couldn't have done it without.
Photo...
Spreezer
Noob
Noob

Post by Spreezer »

Wish I could say got it running like a top, but can't. Tried cleaning the carb again, tried spraying premix directly, and even starter fluid but no cigar, just an occasional backfire.
Had to move on. Thanks again for the help guys.
John if you see this, good luck, and safe riding.
Spreezer