How do you get that oil pump plug working?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

kosmo
BMX
BMX

How do you get that oil pump plug working?

Post by kosmo »

My answer: you don't. you toss it in the trash. Something so simple is so hard to get to work, or just doesn't; for me. If anyone has any suggestions about how to get it to well specifically, not split the o-ring everytime you pop it in, yes i did try caliper grease, the slickest stuff I knew of that wouldnt swell rubber to make it slide in, it split. i tried seafoam spray, motor oil, 2-stroke oil. like it just didnt work. Also the original o-ring that came with it split, i think on the first or 2nd time it was took out. its been so long now i cant remember, so i had to chase an oring down. I took it to the hardware store with me and we matched up the oring as best as we could. it seemed to fit without stretching around the plug, and seemed to fit the channel it went in, and measured up to close to the same as the original one did. anything smaller or bigger just didnt seem to look right, or they didnt make it(smaller).
anyway, I got my plug at the same time i got in a bunch of other parts. And from there, I was just chasing it down the whole time. I tried lots of stuff. I tried adjustable carburetors, with different needles, and jets. every combination wouldnt do anything, it got me nowhere. When I'd go to give it throttle, it would just start to cut out. I could if i took it easy and babied it, could get it to rev up and get going down the road. but it would always show up later on. by usually cutting out and just plain dying at full speed, full throttle. no overheat or anything.
Just that I just didn't think, except maybe once right at the beginning that it could be a problem, then i thought ahh its so small, it doesnt do much, how could it be it? That something, that does so very little in ways of keeping the motor from having defects like air leaking from it doing its job, that how could it be it?
I have seen the diospeeddemon video were he jbwelds his plug in. He said at the beginning that it was bouncing up and down and he decided to jb weld it in. I noticed that on mine too but i put a bolt in the screw in pull out hole on the back of it to make it stick back more, and pressed down on the head of the bolt with a washer and the hold down bolt. But the split o-ring had to of been were the air leak was coming from, its the only point were air has a place to get through, and the rubber o-ring is split. the jb weld idea is a more permanent option, but that doesnt really work for me. or maybe it does.
Also i chased it for 2 summers, and it sat last summer as i thought about why it wouldnt work. Near the end of the summer, the thought crossed me about that split o-ring and how it seals air and how it could be it maybe.

I just 2 days ago this weekend, decided to go out there and just put it on. I went under the house and was moving boxes the day before that and pushed my scooter box to the back, with old stuff off of it from junk bikes, and opened it up just to look in it, and seen the pump i had been thinking of putting back on. i grabbed it and brought it in. 2 days ago took out the plug, and put the pump back on. had to get some new fuel and oil lines, got it all hooked up. after 2 days, i either had a lean pilot jet or, at teh same time, I checked the needle to double check it and had some weird lean needle in an arreche 19mm carb i got. so i took it out and put the stock one back in. started it up and no hesistations. Riding this summer for me.

just a comment and if anyone has any suggestions on how they get their pump plug to go in and work. Or have you ever pulled yours out and noticed the o-ring split? maybe i got a bad one. I just never could push the plug in with my hands, I'd have to smack it in there to get it in there with something heavy. Maybe if you have a problem your chasing down too, you could, if you have put a plug in and found the problem maybe at the same time with a few other upgrades, could replace the old pump back on and it might just work

Mine did.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: How do you get that oil pump plug working?

Post by Meatball »

All that for an o-ring? Buy the one SSS makes and slap some Hondabond on it when sliding it in, o-ring or not...done.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
kosmo
BMX
BMX

Post by kosmo »

hondabond, would blow out. its meant to be pressed/sandwiched together. its only the o-ring that seals. i dont know is his made different? i bought mine from the hawaain guys shop. i got some calipers maybe could measure. but it never worked, and the o-ring always split.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Howe bout post a pic of what you got for reference.
kosmo
BMX
BMX

Post by kosmo »

same thing you find on ebay but it came from hawaii.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Hondabond works for many things...I even use it at the header slip-fit connection on Arrow, Yasuni and other exhausts without any “blowout”. Used for thousands of leak-free miles with fully built race motors spinning at 12,000 rpm’s. Come here for advice and then claim the solutions provided wont work before you even try it is staggeringly close-minded. The proven methods that have worked countless times for many years are tried and true. I suspect your issues run deeper than an oil pump plug o-ring anyways.

FWIW, heres a better design plug: https://scooterswapshop.com/collections ... uum-delete
Last edited by Meatball on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Meatball, that's one heckuva good plug design. I almost wish my conventional plug would leak so I could get one!
I don't recall having any trouble with the single o-ring on mine, but it did take some caution - keeping the plug square as I pushed it down - but go in it did, and hasn't leaked.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
kosmo
BMX
BMX

Post by kosmo »

no my bike works now. after trying many things and replacing the carburetor and changing jets after replacing the pump plug back in with the oil pump, it works. the pump has an oring that sits on the top. thats just how orings work. and issues dont run deep they just run right there in front of you you not looking right at them. i just didnt think it being somethign that worked mechanically so simple was the problem, i guess when i was thinking or expecting i was going to be doing lots of other tinkering.
have u guys got yours to go in without the o-ring splitting? As you can see on the picture on mine, its split. Can you show pictures of yours puling out sohwing u got it in and didnt have to do a diospeeddemon jbweld fix to keep it leak free? mine sat parked for the past 3 summers because of this. its 100% no problem now. im just final jet tuning and have had no overheating or anythign since putting back in the stock oil pump. theres a spot on top for the stock oil pumps o-ring to sit in.
meatball: Things that slide in use o-rings. that squeeze or press onto a place. the plug just fills a hole and an o-ring sits between it and the other side. no liquid gasket has anywere to squeeze or sandwich together there. i just wouldnt think that since its not been done mechanically before that its possible or could work. if you can show it yourself, id be glad to redelete mine. but until i see something, like i was saying show me your non-split o-ring. ill just run my pump or even jbweld it hondabond is used for thigns
things that sandwich together
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I’ll go ahead and tear apart the 5 scooters in my garage to take pictures for you. Yup, I’ll get right on that.
kosmo wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:27 pmAs you can see on the picture on mine, its split.....mine sat parked for the past 3 summers because of this.

Hopefully one of your lightbulbs dont burn out next...might sit for another 3yrs :lol:

Good luck, buddy
kosmo
BMX
BMX

Post by kosmo »

i'm just posting in case others have a problem and they can't narrow it down. Mine split and I don't know how or what I could of done to of used this o-ring sealed plug. I tried installing mine 5 or 6 times and everytime it came out with the o-ring split. I'm just bringing it to attention of others that if they have a problem, they might think like i did, why would this silly o ring on this pump, that i just installed, split? and they can take and check theirs. mine definately was messed up as it wouldnt stop hesitating and no adjustment i did fixed it. Now works fine just tuning it and looking over everything, before I finally put the plastics back on it and show it off around
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

O-rings come in different thicknesses as well as diameters. Perhaps it was bad luck on the original, not "square" when you pushed it in, or a sharp edge on your crankcase. After that maybe replacements are too thick to fit? Measure the pump bore and the plug diameters. Lawn irrigation suppliers have the best o-ring selections.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I have found what may be this posters problem. He said his plug would not go all the way into the oil pump cavity. I have a early dio af18 case that has the small diameter crankshaft and I could not get a af16 oil pump all the way into the cavity. It would bind against the crankshaft when I tightened it down. I could not figure out why so I attempted to slide in an oil pump plug and it would not go all the way in. I measured the depth of the hole and sure enough it was not as long as the plug. I decided to use this motor for a 72cc kit so I trimmed the pump plug in 2 areas to get it to flush down in the case all the way, secured it from backing out and I will premix the fuel on this one. I remembered this post when I realised there was a slight difference in the af16 and early af18 cases so I will post this pic showing where I trimmed the oil pump plug about 1/8th of an inch. I did not want to modify the oil pump shaft to fit it fearing that it might not mesh correctly with the worm gear on the crankshaft and really make a mess of things :nervous: Also, I did have to use a special seal on the case to use an af16 crank which I had luckily already bought from Jiangwayne.com and I just looked and can't find them now so he's probably done selling them or ran out.........
the-culprit 1.jpg
the-culprit 1.jpg (192.42 KiB) Viewed 6877 times
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
kosmo
BMX
BMX

Post by kosmo »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:09 pm Greetings:

O-rings come in different thicknesses as well as diameters. Perhaps it was bad luck on the original, not "square" when you pushed it in, or a sharp edge on your crankcase. After that maybe replacements are too thick to fit? Measure the pump bore and the plug diameters. Lawn irrigation suppliers have the best o-ring selections.
yea this one was my guess probably. i dont know, i dont think i hit it as i put it in. i took both halves with me too, to the hardware store and we put them together. maybe i got it wrong. they didnt have many more o-rings for what was my diameter. there was a lot but no more choices for me. maybe if someone would give out the size of the replacement parts when you get them, my local hardware store has a bunch of stuff.

no, the plug went in there all the way. it would go in there and seat.