Can't climb / go up even slight hills - Elite SB50 1989(?) - Clutch / belt issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

BigDickMongo
Noob
Noob

Re: Can't climb / go up even slight hills - Elite SB50 1989(?) - Clutch / belt issues

Post by BigDickMongo »

Will do!

Recent update is that I must have not torqued the bolt correctly or something, as the clattering increased and eventually the "driven face" I believe was too loose to spin the belt.

I removed everything and noticed there was an extra washer between the "gear" part of the driven face and the other part. That must have been contributing to the issue but please let me know if this is normal and I should put it back, although it doesn't show up on online diagrams which I'm hoping means it was the problem

Anyways I put some better loctite on it and it should be at the proper torque now. It was MUCH tougher to get the belt on the clutch pulley and get the clutch on so here's what I did in case anyone see's this thread or has the same problem:

Get the belt around the "driven face" after it's been totally tightened down. Once that's on get the belt around onto the pulley for the clutch. Then take some kind of strong pry-tool (I just used a screwdriver and the asphalt I was working on) and push "into" the pulley bit so it "expands" and simultaneously encourage the belt to sit further into the pulley as people suggested doing before, but as I realized, it should be a much more noticeable amount.

This, along with enough grunting and swearing, should let you get the clutch bit back on the other shaft and get the belt nice and taught between the two.

I currently am working on taking pictures and sorting this out but since I don't have a garage and it's pouring cats and dogs here it's rather rough goings.

I seriously appreciate all the advice that's been given by ya'll so far! It's been an immeasurable help and hopefully soon I can be rid of these annoyances and just enjoy zipping around town!

Edit: I took a look at the crank! No munching (that I can notice)! Must have been issues with putting the driven face back on