Low Compression on Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Kawazukiyamahonda
Noob
Noob

Low Compression on Spree

Post by Kawazukiyamahonda »

Okay, so I dug up my grandma's old garage kept 85' Spree. Electric start only. It has low compression(60psi). I instinctually rebuilt the top end and it still has low compression. I checked the rings under a 10" magnifying glass to check if the rings were faced in the right direction, since the company that sold the top end kit failed to provide markings. I know I have the top one on properly, but am not certain of the bottom ring direction, since that one is rectangular, and as I mentioned has no marking. My question has a few tiers, but ultimately boils down to one question: What are the causes of low compression on these?

What I have checked/replaced:
Rings-replaced
Head Gaskets-replaced
Reed Valve-replaced
Carb-checked/clean
Fuel Line/Petcock-cleaned and pulling gas while cranking
Battery-replaced solely for purpose of getting it to crank
Air Filter-in tact, is clean, and looks good

Mainly, I need answers on this part. While doing research I have gotten mixed information on whether or not a bad crank seal would affect the compression. Some say it can, others say only affects fuel/air. Also, I'm wondering whether cranking speed would affect compression? My guess would be no, but I know how sensitive this system can be.

Side note: When my stepfather worked on this years ago, I recall them baffling the exhaust, and he doesn't recall doing it, but said it's possible that he may have. I've read that this can affect compression, so I'm curious if that may be the issue as well.

Thanks for reading the novel.
Wheelman-111

Re: Low Compression on Spree

Post by Wheelman-111 »

The rising piston compresses the air that was in the crankcase. Any amount pushed out a bad seal will affect compression. Hold throttle wide open for accurate value. Take off belt cover and look for oil in belt cavity.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH