Oil in Rear Clutch Casing?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

V3LP
Noob
Noob

Oil in Rear Clutch Casing?

Post by V3LP »

Hiya! So, new to this kinda thing, but my dad's been helping me get an 85 Spree back in running order.

Just replaced the piston assembly, which was totally shot, so it's running just fine. The problem now is that there's no power. If we lift the rear end, the tire spins, but even under just it's own weight it won't go. We opened the rear case housing the belt etc and it was full of oil.

We are both unfamiliar with scooters in general, so we're not 100% sure what's what, but we think (after reading a few somewhat related issues on this site) that it's probably not supposed to be that lubricated, if at all.
What we think happened was oil leaked through an old, dried-out seal somewhere on the rear axel assembly amd into that casing, when while transporting it was sitting left side down (can't afford a trailer, so my t100's bed had to do).
Again we're both noobs at scooters so we aren't sure about some of the anatomy. I bought the closest to the old oil soaked belt I could get at Oreilly's, so we'll be trying that tonight. Also bought cans of brake cleaner to get all the oil outta that bish.
If that doesn't work, what recommendations would you have, and what other spots would you recommend checking related to this for the issue of no power?

OH also, the belt seemed very loose, likely stretched. Should we have been able to squeeze it down as seen in the pictures? I was able to overlap it and fit a finger between the overlap.

Thanks y'all!

Edit: i can't upload the pics from my phone, so I guess just imagine that case absolutely drowning in oil, and a belt that makes a better Powerbait for Bass than a belt.
bonesv

Re: Oil in Rear Clutch Casing?

Post by bonesv »

You need correct size belt, 5mm too big and you ain't going anywhere. Try to determine the source of the oil. Clean as much of the oil up as you can before you touch that new, correct size belt to the clutch and drive pulley. You should take the clutch off of the spindle and clean it completely of oil and debris.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
kosmo
BMX
BMX

Re: Oil in Rear Clutch Casing?

Post by kosmo »

i would guess its some 10w-30 oil right? theres oil in, I think, the rear gears of the spree, and theres a fill/drain bolt at least is on an elite to fill it with. that oil is there to lube up the gears that attach from the rear clutch spindle, to the rear tire. theres an oil seal behind the rear clutch there, and i bet its broke or cracked. you can get a new seal if you can find the part number, theres some websites that sell stock honda parts online or you can look up the part numbers there. check the fill bolt and see if theres any oil in there, then fill it up and see if it comes leaking out behind that rear clutch pulley. if it is, first fix the seal replace it, then clean up everything especially the clutch pads . make sure to pull oil in the rear gear case, and that belt is probably stretched from being worn out, and never replaced. you can find new ones. idk were ebay but u can