Stumped

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom
Noob
Noob

Stumped

Post by Tom »

1985 spree, I've had this for 10 years, gave it to neighbors daughter and son to ride 3 months ago. Yesterday boy starts and begins to ride and he indicated it died. This is what I've checked,:
It has spark and I placed new plug as well.
Pulled bypass, put 12 volts to it and needle grew and have 4.7 ohms when checking continuity .
Carb when cranking seems to have excess fuel. Pulled carb, really clean, checked float 13.2mm.
Pulled jet and adjuster screws.
Put carb back on and still have excess fuel. Pull the new plug smelled like gas.
I have really great vaccum when I crank and place my hand at intake manifold.
I did undo oil line and know it needs to be reprimed but not sure it's working but dang bike should fire. I have fuel and spark. So I'm not sure if excess fuel to carb is really bad bypass even though it tested good. Need to guidance, can't seen to figure it out. Thinking something is flooding carb but I would think with spark it would fire. So help is needed. Tom
Tom
Noob
Noob

Re: Stumped

Post by Tom »

Set float at 12mm..,not 13 typo
Tom
Noob
Noob

Post by Tom »

I also pulled Reed valve and they seem to be tight.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It sounds like the carb bowl is overfilling. The level is controlled by a float/needle valve, the rubber-tipped needle of which is known to fail after time. 34 years is a lot of time... Anyway the engine is inhaling liquid gasoline instead of carefully blended vapor. Find a float needle and polish up its seat in the carb body and should get back to normal. If there's crud in the fuel/carb (bad fuel screen?) the described fix won't work for long.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Tom
Noob
Noob

Post by Tom »

Thanks...I'll give that a try. I should of noted I had to carbs which I tried, however, I didn't disassemble the float needle in both, I only checked float height. Appreciate the help.
Tom
Noob
Noob

Post by Tom »

Wheelman, the seat is what the rubber tip needle sits in, correct, technique...how do you polish it. Just take any needle and turn/polish it in the needle seat? I took carb apart and it seems to have good seat. Maybe I should get a carb kit. The fact I see spark when I ground the spark plug I can't believe it doesn't fire, I believe you are correct and it's carb related. I also sprayed starting fluid in spark plug port and still no fire....would think I'd get some fire.
Tom
Noob
Noob

Post by Tom »

Well its running. I took compressed air to spark plug port, blew out excess gas, went full throttle and it started. However, it still won't start easy until I open the throttle and then she starts. Like to know stock air screw setting if someone can share I would appreciate it. Tom
motormike

Post by motormike »

Gee Tom, I'm not up to speed on 85 Spree, but the air screw setting
is likely to be 1 1/2 turns out from full close. The service manual usually has that info.
You can download a pdf of the manual here by going to the "Board Index" and then click on
the category "Honda Service and Owners Manuals"
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Tom
Noob
Noob

Post by Tom »

Thanks very much.
Tom
Noob
Noob

Post by Tom »

Excellent, read Manuel, 1 7/8 for 1985. Also, how important is the bypass cover to function of unit? I didn't put it back on.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The black ByStarter cover is there to retain heat when you stop the engine for a short time (~5 minutes?) and then restart. If the cover is missing, the bystarter is going to cool faster than the engine, resulting in an enriched mixture when you restart your already-warm engine. This will result in poor performance for the first minute or two before the bystarter coil warms the device and little needle closes the enrichment circuit again.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Tom
Noob
Noob

Post by Tom »

Thank you again.... Last piece to the puzzle. I will install this evening. She's running pretty good right now, thank you and others for the help, much appreciated.
Tom
Noob
Noob

Post by Tom »

Guys she's running pretty well with one very slight concern, from dead stop, if I go full throttle it has a slight bog and catches on and goes. I don't know if its rich or lean. It improved slightly by putting a small piece of foam blocking air intake on outside of filter house which I'm guessing it needs fuel. Wondering if I need to oil air filter, it is not overly oiled and that's my issue. I have solid seal on carb boot. The bog is very minor but there, feel like I'm close to getting it running perfect. This is pretty fun stuff.