Elite S Dies after full throttle rushing

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tc1067
Noob
Noob

Elite S Dies after full throttle rushing

Post by tc1067 »

Thanks in advance!

I have a 99 Elite S. I derestricted it by removing the restrictive plate behind variator, drilled the washer (not all the way, the whole of the washer is like 1.5-1.75 times larger than stock), up the jet to 78, zip-tied the oil pump all the way. I also am adding 1 oz toil o the fuel tank now. It goes up to 38 mph. However, if I run full throttle for some mins, the engine will stop when it comes to a stop right after. It restarts pretty easy, just several kicks. The first start just needs one kick. If I don't push it to top speed, it will not die, runs like normal :werd: . Any idea? Input?

Be safe out there! :coolcruise: :peace:
bonesv

Re: Elite S Dies after full throttle rushing

Post by bonesv »

Sounds like the air/fuel screw is not adjusted perfectly. It may need the exhaust washer opened all the way then adjust carb again. 👍🏼
Be sure there’s no leak at exhaust connection.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If the head-pipe is still even partially restricted by the washer remnants, a 78 will be too much jet. The mixture will be excessively rich, which fits with a top speed of only 38. That scooter should break 40 easily if the power was unimpaired. You could be fouling the plug with too much fuel when you go open wide.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
tc1067
Noob
Noob

Post by tc1067 »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:48 pm Greetings:

If the head-pipe is still even partially restricted by the washer remnants, a 78 will be too much jet. The mixture will be excessively rich, which fits with a top speed of only 38. That scooter should break 40 easily if the power was unimpaired. You could be fouling the plug with too much fuel when you go open wide.
It could be. However it dies under the same condition with the stock jet.
tc1067
Noob
Noob

Post by tc1067 »

bonesv wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:50 pm Sounds like the air/fuel screw is not adjusted perfectly. It may need the exhaust washer opened all the way then adjust carb again. 👍🏼
Thanks for the input. I don't think there leak at exhaust. Is there a certain way to adjust it?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

tc1067 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:36 pm
bonesv wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:50 pm Sounds like the air/fuel screw is not adjusted perfectly. It may need the exhaust washer opened all the way then adjust carb again. 👍🏼
Thanks for the input. I don't think there leak at exhaust. Is there a certain way to adjust it?
First off, both wheelman and myself suggested that you completely remove the exhaust restriction. Do that. Then, after that, you should re-tune the carburetor settings starting at the smaller of the two screws, gently, turning the screw inward to just where it makes contact and back it out about 1 and 3/4 of the way. Start the scooter and adjust the larger screw to set the idle at about 900 or so rpm's. Low but not too low. Be sure you have a well-oiled air filter in the air box, and that it is otherwise sealed tight and not moving around. If everything is working correctly, you should be able to let it warm up and take it for a ride. Report any issues back here so someone can try to help. You may find the small screw needing further adjustment an eighth of a turn in or out to smooth it out.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
tc1067
Noob
Noob

Post by tc1067 »

bonesv wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:09 am
tc1067 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:36 pm
First off, both wheelman and myself suggested that you completely remove the exhaust restriction. Do that. Then, after that, you should re-tune the carburetor settings starting at the smaller of the two screws, gently, turning the screw inward to just where it makes contact and back it out about 1 and 3/4 of the way. Start the scooter and adjust the larger screw to set the idle at about 900 or so rpm's. Low but not too low. Be sure you have a well-oiled air filter in the air box, and that it is otherwise sealed tight and not moving around. If everything is working correctly, you should be able to let it warm up and take it for a ride. Report any issues back here so someone can try to help. You may find the small screw needing further adjustment an eighth of a turn in or out to smooth it out.
Thank you for the detailed information. I will do it and see what happens! Cheers! :coolcruise: :coolcruise:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I believe the optimum idle speed is 1800RPM, not 900. Otherwise Bones is correct.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH