2000 SA50 throttle cable questions

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mlorsung
Noob
Noob

2000 SA50 throttle cable questions

Post by mlorsung »

Hi all,
Newbie here, though I have worked on bikes before. I just picked up a 2000 honda elite 50 for 75 bucks (what could go wrong?). It has been abused, but I can get it to fire, so thats a start. One things I am wondering (Im sure Ill have more questions as I go) is about the connection of the throttle control cable to the splitter that goes to the carb and oil pump. This was disconnected, and though I can physically make the connection between the two, I can't figure out what is supposed to be connecting the single cable end to the two cable ends leading to the carb and oil pump. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Michael

//edit, in case it wasn't clear, the crudely highlighted portion of this photograph, ie: the point at which the split happens is what I am trying to understand. I can take photos of what I have, but I sense I might be missing a part... What does this look like on the inside, does anyone have a photo they could share? I can't find it in the parts diagram, if I am missing it--I apologize.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (169.45 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Re: 2000 SA50 throttle cable questions

Post by harleyracer59 »

inside the splitter connection/tube, theres a little "puck" that the single cable from throttle goes through the center and has a nub or ball that keeps it from pulling through the puck. the cables to the carb and oil pump go into the other side of splitter tube and the ends slide into the sides of the puck. they also have nubs to keep them from pulling through the puck when you put back into the splitter tube it keeps the 2 side cables from slipping out the sides.
if you pop the cap on the side with 2 cables off and disconnect cable from throttle twist on the handlebars, that gives you enough play in the single cable to pull the whole assembly out the 2 cable side. ill see if i have any pics of it taken apart for you. in case my retarded description is confusing.. lol
mlorsung
Noob
Noob

Re: 2000 SA50 throttle cable questions

Post by mlorsung »

That makes sense I think! Im going to give it a shot tomorrow--thanks for your reply.