Elite-E, Won't Start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Slaserj
Noob
Noob

Elite-E, Won't Start

Post by Slaserj »

Here I am with another no-starter. I've gone over the usual, but no luck. Here's where I'm at, and what I've tested.

Bike: 1988 Honda Elite E SB50

Compression: 105 PSI with cheap HF long-rubber-hose tester. Usually undertests, but still, should start with this.
Spark: Yes. Plug has been cleaned and reinserted. Gap is correct at 0.7mm.
Carb: Fully cleaned, jets checked, and reinstalled. All passages blown with carb cleaner and comp air.
Air mix: Set at 1.75 turns out. Tried +/-, no effect.
Air Box: Installed, with custom cut UNI foam filter. Tried with more restriction, and removed. Works better with restriction, but still won't keep running.
Starting fluid: doesn't really help.

Currently, I can get the bike to blurble over about 6-8 times, headlight briefly comes on, then it dies. This is with about 3/4 throttle given, and a really aggressive kick. Note, this bike has no e-start, it has been removed.

Any help is appreciated!
Slaserj
Noob
Noob

Re: Elite-E, Won't Start

Post by Slaserj »

Updates: still working on it. Inspected the reeds, they look brand new. Engine only has 600 miles on it, so thats to be expected. First fix was to reseat the left crankshaft seal, which had popped out of place, no doubt causing lack of crankcase vacuum to pull fuel/air in. So, that's been fixed. Opened up the flywheel side, is it possible the timing is off? Is the flywheel keyed to the crank, or just pressure attached?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Flywheel (mag) is keyed. You need a puller to get it off but use proper tool not a steering wheel puller you may damage the mag. Here’s what you need. Search ebay for an in stock item with this thread size 24mm rt hand https://scooterswapshop.com/collections ... -universal
I suspect the seal blew out because of oil in the case leaking from oil pump while sitting for long periods. It might not have blown out both but it’s easy to check if you get that tool.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Slaserj
Noob
Noob

Post by Slaserj »

Just ordered the flywheel puller, will update when I can get it off. Any other things I can check while that's on the way?
Slaserj
Noob
Noob

Post by Slaserj »

Updates! I pulled the flywheel, all looks well back there. Cleaned it up, and put if back together. After all of this, we I kicked it hard, and it tried to start! More blurbing, then nothing. This was with the throttle significantly opened. Couldn’t get it to do it again. No starter fluid improvement either. I just ordered a fresh plug. The plugs come out wet every time.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Slaserj wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:15 pm Updates! I pulled the flywheel, all looks well back there. Cleaned it up, and put if back together. After all of this, we I kicked it hard, and it tried to start! More blurbing, then nothing. This was with the throttle significantly opened. Couldn’t get it to do it again. No starter fluid improvement either. I just ordered a fresh plug. The plugs come out wet every time.
don't give any throttle. use kicker only. no starter fluid. 15-20 kicks should do it. air box and filter in place always. no throttle let it idle.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Slaserj
Noob
Noob

Post by Slaserj »

Got some new spark plugs in today, so I swapped one in, and gave it a solid 30 kicks. Nothing.max 2-3 blips after the kick, but never tried to start really. It's sparking, and it's getting gas. What else could it be?
Slaserj
Noob
Noob

Post by Slaserj »

A pic, for anyone interested:
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (225.88 KiB) Viewed 7994 times
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Read this. TLDR your carb is dirty and you need to get the electric start fixed before you break your kick start. http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5/G ... n_the_Road
When the bike is a going concern, the "kick start" is more of a "gently push the pedal" start... but you won't know that until you can get the bike running. Most noobs kick and kick and kick until they destroy the gears and/or the side cover. This is an expensive part to replace, and one of the reasons so many bikes are missing these parts.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
motormike

Post by motormike »

If you have spark, compression, and fuel flow...the carburetor is the MOST likely culprit.
Cleaning the carb is simple, but MUST be done METICULOUSLY in order to clear ALL passages and jets.
The engine should be started WITHOUT THROTTLE when the carburetor is completely clean.
The bystarter is of paramount importance for cold-starts. Make sure it is working properly.
IF YOU CAN'T achieve any success getting it to run, let someone who knows how to fix them look at it.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Slaserj
Noob
Noob

Post by Slaserj »

I'll give the carb another look through tonight, blow it out and check everything religiously. Also, I'll be gentle with the kicker. I've seen no SB50 starts for sale for under $100, so if anyone has one on here, I'm EXTREMELY interested.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Did you take a look at reeds? If there is even the smallest gap they wont start.
Slaserj
Noob
Noob

Post by Slaserj »

Reeds look mint, no gaps. Embarrassingly, stuck them in my mouth and blew. No air escaped.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Ok then I assume you scraped those intake surfaces absolutely clean and applied sealer and all new intake gaskets?
If there’s any air leaking into the motor then it’s not going to start.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Slaserj
Noob
Noob

Post by Slaserj »

Well, it runs! And surprisingly, nobody here has posted the answer. I'm currently banging my head against the wall. Here it is: the exhaust was clogged. What I'm assuming began as a carb issue, the PO turned into a clogged exhaust by leaving it outside, probably having something build a nest in there, then kicking it to smithereens, pumping the nest full of oil and turning it into a glob. Any suggestions on a new exhaust? Or to clean this POS out?