Spree New Brake switch

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

snowworks
Noob
Noob

Spree New Brake switch

Post by snowworks »

I picked up a rough 84 Spree for almost nothing and have been working on it. Got it running and will need a few more parts. Rear rack and Turn Signals and mirrors. But what I need now is a Brake light switch. I have one that needs the plunger. I think I can make that one work. The other one is dead. I went looking for the OE part number and cannot seem to find it on the parts breakdown?? Where is the switch on the parts diagram?? I do not see the hand controls switches on the parts breakdown?? Or the electrical breakdown?? An OE part number would be nice. I see there is a some used ones on ebay, but is there other good switches out there?? Ebay has a brake light switch for the Chinese GY6 looks similar. Will that work?? If there is a switch that works give me a part number ect. Thanks!! :coolcruise:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Spree New Brake switch

Post by Meatball »

Are you talking about the tiny button that hides behind each brake lever? The one that pops out when you pull the brake lever to illuminate the brake light?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Pull up the factory wiring diagram from the service manual.

Huh, you're right. I just check the online parts fische and can't find the levers anywhere. I did find aftermarket levers, and looks like CRF50 is the same, so assume whole design is probably alike. There's tons of china knockoff of either those, or GY6, so would just find one wired with for switch and use that if you can't find any Spree / SB50 ones.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Also, take a close look at the Honda switch. Many can be rebuilt if you're careful, take apart and clean contact surfaces.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
snowworks
Noob
Noob

Post by snowworks »

OK thanks for the info so far!. I had some time and took out both switches. Got a little lucky in that the one that the plunger was broke was also the one that did not work. The other one I shot some contact cleaner in it and worked it, and works every time and under .5 ohm. The other one I took apart and see it would be hard to make a new plunger contact for the switch. The plunger contact is one piece round on the inside and double D on the part that goes out and hits the brake lever and the contact in the center of it. Be best to get another switch. I still would like the OE part number for the Brake switch. Some time going to swaps you find OE parts in a bag.. I'll take a look at the CRF50. Is there a specific year?? The China GY6 has anybody used them to make sure they are the correct diameter?..
snowworks
Noob
Noob

Post by snowworks »

Checking with a other motor head and came up with another Spree brake light switch. Cleaned it up and put it in. Works like it should. What would you guys recommend for Mirrors? Do not have to be stock, just decent quality reasonable price. I'll have to look at the thread pitch to get correct ones. Thanks...