New Spree, couple of issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

GardnerM
Noob
Noob

New Spree, couple of issues

Post by GardnerM »

Picked up my first spree today for $250. Came with a spare motor and a bunch of other parts. The spree is complete and running and according to the previous owner the engine is new. When I went to go look at it and test ride it, it started up first kick and ran a lot peppier than I expected, and easily made it up to 35. It was just extremely loud due to an exhaust leak at the manifold that I’ll be addressing tomorrow. However, once I got the moped home and rode it around the block, it was running a lot boggier, and was struggling to make it to 25, you had to ease into it, and at full throttle or speed above 25, it was cutting out and seemed to be starving for fuel. Pulled the plug, looked great, wasn’t lean. It also developed an awful smell as I rode it that lingered, almost burny or like it was running hot. Just odd to me that it was running perfect with plenty of speed at the old owners house, then when I get it home it’s struggling. Where would you start? Adjusting the carb? It was supposedly cleaned when he replaced the Motor. Has half tank of fuel in it, not sure how old, looks and smells ok. I’ll siphon it out to be else. What else do you guys suggest I do to it? Has 3,000 miles on it, the old piston and cylinder it came with appear to be in good shape so I’m not sure what the purpose of the rebuild was.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: New Spree, couple of issues

Post by Meatball »

Every “new to you” scoot needs to be completely gone through. A seller will tell you anything to make the sale. Not saying he fed you misinformation but take what he says with a grain of salt. NEW MOTOR?? Unless he has a time machine to go back 30yrs and buy one, Id say that statement is false. CLEANED CARB?? Maybe he did but didnt do a thorough job. RECENT REBUILD?? Many pitfalls arise from using non-OEM parts for this procedure. Much like the motors, the supply of OEM pistons, rings, etc have depleted many MANY years ago. What parts he used for the rebuild is a mystery. Once you know the previous owner has done “something”...you have to also question his skills at doing so.

Depending on your own skill level, I would investigate his handywork. Start with the easy stuff like fixing the exhaust, cleaning the carb, looking for leaks around the jug, intake, etc...The airbox and filter are an important element on the Spree motor. Must have a proper filter and a sealed lid to be happy. I consider these items to be surface-level. If everything checks out, I pull the jug as a last resort. Dig deeper as needed.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new toy. Once you get it sorted you’ll be pleased with the finished product.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
GardnerM
Noob
Noob

Post by GardnerM »

Thanks for the reply. I’m gonna spend a few hours working on it this morning and I’ll report back. And when I say new motor, the previous owner supposedly replaced the cylinder and piston
GardnerM
Noob
Noob

Post by GardnerM »

On the carb, I know the upper screw with the spring around it adjusts the idle and the screw below it adjusts mixture, which way do I need to turn the mixture screw to richen it? Also I narrowed my exhaust leak down to a missing exhaust flange/manifold? Gasket. The 2 studs are there and not broken, there’s just a large gap and no gasket there. Will it harm it to run it like this? It seems to be running real lean right now, the plug is almost gray after WOT runs and it definitely smells like it’s running hot/lean. Can I adjust the mixture richer until the gasket comes in or should I not run it as is?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Don't run it without the gasket, you can really damage that piston.
GardnerM
Noob
Noob

Post by GardnerM »

Could someone point me to where I could order an exhaust flange gasket, and an air filter? Thanks!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

GardnerM
Noob
Noob

Post by GardnerM »

Got the exhaust leak fixed and a new filter, now it’s dying whenever you give it throttle. It’ll start up and rev for a second then stumble and die. I’ve tried readjusting the carb after adding the air filter and fixing the exhaust, and it’s still stumbling and dying with throttle. What gives?
GardnerM
Noob
Noob

Post by GardnerM »

I took a video of what it’s doing but I’m not sure how to post it on here
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

GardnerM wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:17 pmPulled the plug, looked great, wasn’t lean. It also developed an awful smell as I rode it that lingered, almost burny or like it was running hot.
Could be a faulty oil pump and its not getting any (or enough) oil. More recent oil injection systems have a sensor and warning light to indicate when a pump fails. Unfortunately there is no such safeguards on the Spree. You find out the pump fails with cooked motor.

I would pull the jug and inspect the piston, bore and rings. A good way to get a small glimpse without going this route is to remove the exhaust and look into exhaust outlet on the jug. You can rotate fan by hand and see the piston condition. MOST of the time your damage will be on the exhaust side of the piston but not always. A dirty looking piston with brown/black gunk on it is pretty normal. Youre looking for scrapes, scratches, grooves or gouges. The piston can be dirty but MUST have a nice smooth surface. Take a peek and report back.

Im thinking this “recent rebuild” is likely the root of the problem here. Its really common for people to buy a cheap $10 rebuild kit from China on Ebay and slap it on. As mentioned in my previous post, figuring out what the previous owner has done (and what parts used) should be top priority. Then at least you know what youre working with.
GardnerM
Noob
Noob

Post by GardnerM »

I had the exhaust off when I replaced the gasket and the piston looked good, didn’t have any gouging or scrapes. I’m gonna take the carb off and clean it and go from there.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Check if your exhaust isnt restricted in some way. Many reports of insects, rodents, etc..making nests in the muffler. Theres also the very common “carbon cake”. This is where carbon from dirty 2-stroke exhaust gasses build up inside the muffler over time. Its a slow process on a perfectly running motor, however, carbon builds up rather quickly if your motor is in disrepair and smokes a bunch.

There are many threads about carbon cake and how to clean your exhaust. The best/easiest way to be absolutely thorough is to put the muffler into a fire pit. This method burns all the carbon away without question. Dumping solvents down the exhaust and soaking it wont ensure 100% coverage since there are 3 chambers connected by tubing inside and baffles along the way. It also leaves you with a bucket of toxic sludge that you have to dispose of. Messy and ineffective.

The reason Im thinking plugged exhaust is because it wont revv out once you fixed the exhaust leak. It possibly NEEDED the leak to keep running....assuming the muffler is restricted beyond run ability.
GardnerM
Noob
Noob

Post by GardnerM »

I appreciate your reply. I have narrowed the issue down to the air filter. It’s amazing how picky it is with it. I picked up some foam and cut it to size and thought that would be fine, but as I moved it around, it totally effected the way it ran. If I moved the filter away from the intake it would rev up fine, but as soon as the filter covered the intake hole, it would starve out and die. I ordered a stock filter off of Amazon, I think a stock filter soaked in gear oil will resolve my issue. I’ve been getting it to run great by messing with the placement of the current filter I sized up.

Also, As for carb adjustment, I know there’s 2 screws and top does idle rpm and the bottom does mixture... but to richen the mixture, do I turn the bottom screw in or out?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Unscrewing the screw allows more air in. (Leaner)
Screwing it in blocks off the air passage. (Richer)
GardnerM
Noob
Noob

Post by GardnerM »

Awesome thank you