New Spree, couple of issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

GardnerM
Noob
Noob

Re: New Spree, couple of issues

Post by GardnerM »

Got it running and idling good, but after riding it for 10-20 mins it won’t re start until it cools back down. It’ll run great, just once you kill it it won’t re start. Flooding, or to lean?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Lean mixture causes tough starts. Rich mixture usually leads to fouled plug and NO start. Not sure if thats your issue...but something to keep in mind.

If it wont start after a few kicks, look at plug for signs of rich. Also check that plug electrode is in good condition and gap is correct.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

GardnerM wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:18 pm Got it running and idling good, but after riding it for 10-20 mins it won’t re start until it cools back down. It’ll run great, just once you kill it it won’t re start. Flooding, or to lean?
It has been my experience that, given the symptoms you describe, the carburetor is continuing to allow fuel to run into the cylinder after you shut it off, making it flooded with fuel. The BEST way to RE-START a hot, flooded engine is to hold throttle WIDE OPEN and continue to spin the engine until it fires. FIX this problem by inspecting the float needle, float, and petcock. ONE of those items is not working right, imho.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
GardnerM
Noob
Noob

Post by GardnerM »

Okay guys think I got everything sorted out. I was really puzzled as to why it would run great for 20 mins or so then just die like someone turned the key and not re start.. turns out the coil is bad and when it gets hot and at high rpm it’s cutting out in voltage, then when it cools back down, all is well until it gets hot again. So I have a new coil on the way, I’m pretty confident this is the issue. Aside from dialing in the carb (seems to be running rich, (plug is brown) and it’s sluggish off the line but once in the power band and at WOT it runs great. I held 30 mph for a mile or so no issue. Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.
GardnerM
Noob
Noob

Post by GardnerM »

So I ended up trading the spree straight up for a Aero 80 and I’m having a hard time finding any info on it. If anyone has any knowledge on these please PM me. I have a few question
motormike

Post by motormike »

Hey GardnerM...why not start a new thread, for example, "Aero 80 INFO Needed"
Post your questions.
That way, everyone can benefit from it.
One thing for sure, I don't have much help for you.
I bought ONE Aero 80 a few years ago, and found that the cold-start system is total trash.
Not a fan....mm
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Don't soak foam in gear oil. Use a 10-30w or similar, or a foam filter oil. Note that if it's a Honda OEM filter it will be pre-oiled.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products