Honda ELITE E - idle problem?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

comrade
Noob
Noob

Honda ELITE E - idle problem?

Post by comrade »

Hi, just registered, but was reading the forum for quite a while. cant figure out this problem - i have sb50p, rebuild top, all the gaskets, good spark, i believe good reed valve (was a while back when i looked at it). it was sitting for a while, recently i got back to it.
Cleaned the carb, even managed to take out the pilot jet tube, was clogged, as well as bystarter orifice was clogged badly.all that is clean, gas level is ok in bowl. Adjusted to 1 7/8 turns out for air mix, and throttle screw - to lift the slide just about 1.5 mm to begin with. Gas had water, flushed the tank and filled with gas. The only thing is that the gas was there for maybe a year in the can..
So it starts with the first kick like that, works for a little bit then dies (under a minute). wont start after, only if you give some throttle. so i adjusted throttle screw to make it run, almost all the way in. bystarter valve kicked in (adjusted to specs as well), and it dies again. After that will only start if you screw in throttle all the way. turning air mix screw does not seem to have any effect at all or very little. taking out the U tube on the side of the carb and plugging the hole that goes into the carb to the pilot jet seems to stall the engine, so at least something is going on.
After sitting a day and all the screws adjusted back - same story..
I'm thinking that when cold and bystarter is opened, it starts using gas from bystarter bowl, when this is exhausted, it stops. when warm, this path is closed (or should be) and idling should be done using pilot jet, but it does not happen. i rechecked all the carb holes and they seems to be clean..
any ideas?
stock oiled air filter..
hondafan
Goped
Goped

Re: Honda ELITE E - idle problem?

Post by hondafan »

I think you are running rich after warmup. Is your choke working properly? Check your spark plug once it shuts off. See if it’s wet.