Painting rims/kicker

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

kosmo
BMX
BMX

Painting rims/kicker

Post by kosmo »

what kind of paint do you use for these parts? i tried enamel appliance paint for my rims, but now its chipping. And any suggestions for the kicker cover what kind of paint to use, I keep having when i drain my carb bowl the gas cleaning the paint off of it. I was thinking something like https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-G ... z/46891779
gas and oil resistant and heat resistant some engine enamel. is that the suggestion to use? anyone whos painted their stuff and have it lasting i guess is who im looking for to come and comment.
other than experience, i can make some educated guesses myself i guess. my last 2 tries have washed off or peeled tho. got everything in bad shape.
thanks for any help
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Painting rims/kicker

Post by eclark5483 »

I powder coated mine. But then, I'm a professional. Can't really speak too much of rattle can paint jobs. But I do know I'd never used Rustoleum.

kosmo
BMX
BMX

Post by kosmo »

does powder coat jobs, is that 1 coat, or with clearcoat over top of it? does it not run when gas is spilled over top of it?
ive tried enamel paint on my rims and its chipping and du-pont acrylic lacquer and some anti-corrosion black paint on the kicker. rims have chipped, and the kicker rubs the paint off.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Nope, no runs at all. I've also spilt gas on it and have had no troubles, just wipes away. You bake that enamel on and it creates a very hard protective barrier. Doesn't chip, scratch, run, bleed, etc. You almost HAVE TO powder coat parts like this because they are so low to the ground and so prone to being exposed to elements like tiny rocks and what have you.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Spray paint it, dude...dont spill gas on it
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Brivander
Spree
Spree

Post by Brivander »

I also vote powerdercoat....but I have my own set-up.
1985 Black/Purple Spree-39 GPS
1985 Red/White Spree-40 GPS
1987 Black/Purple Elite-44 GPS
1985 Red/Black Aero-42 GPS
1992 Red/Gray Jog- 56 GPS