87’ Elite variator Clutch Tuning

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Brivander
Spree
Spree

87’ Elite variator Clutch Tuning

Post by Brivander »

Ok, I have a Keli variator and am getting ready to install +1000 clutch springs this weekend. I’m currently running 7g rollers and it seems like the shifts are “behind” so I’m going to go every other weight to an 8g roller. I have a tach and a Technigas pipe (basically the S model now), what RPM should I be running for optimal shifts? Takeoff is great but just seems a bit “mushy” through the mid-range. I know they used to offer the Keli kit with 9g weights.

Maybe I should go straight to 8g’s all the way around...
1985 Black/Purple Spree-39 GPS
1985 Red/White Spree-40 GPS
1987 Black/Purple Elite-44 GPS
1985 Red/Black Aero-42 GPS
1992 Red/Gray Jog- 56 GPS
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Re: 87’ Elite variator Clutch Tuning

Post by harleyracer59 »

I have a keli on my chopper spree and I have a DR big bore, 1500 contra spring red 2000 clutch springs and 6 g. rollers. and im either gonna change my contra to a red or tru 5 g. roller, because mine is shifting too early. take off great but at about 30-35mph, it shifts to high and the motor rpm drops. but it pulls though with the bbk pretty quick. but you hear a noticeable difference in the exhaust tone when it shifts. I liked the keli better on my 84 aero it has a polini kitted af05e out of an 87' elite. it had 4g rollers and red contra and clutch springs. but that engine also has a bigger rear pulley with straight variating grooves. it would pull smooth to top speed. get a gy6 performance rear pulley with multiple groove and set it on the straight ones. I think its the "S" cut groove that the keli doesn't like to play with
both scooters have pipes and 21mm carbs also. the aero is mikuni flatslide and the chopper spree has a walbro wj67
Brivander
Spree
Spree

Post by Brivander »

Hmmm.... maybe it’s sounding like I should try lighter weights just a hair to keep the revs up. I put the pipe and jet in before the Keli and it picked up about 5mph just on revs alone....maybe I am thinking about this the wrong way. I guess that is the fun, experimenting!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It is great fun! Your plan to replace every other 7g with an 8g is sound. Make changes of 2-3 grams TOTAL LOAD at a time so you don't overshoot.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

I agree with wheelman. 3 grams can make a difference either way. that's why they make half g increments. if you have a chance, do some research on rear pulley grooves. the straight cut grooves get rid of that "shift". instead it becomes a straight linear acceleration path while rpm stay more constant. that shift the "s" cut groove creates, is a speed killer on these small cc scooters. even with a big bore kit, that last shift in variation, can bog down the engine right out of its effective powerband. and at speed, it might take some distance for the engine to overcome and pull mph enough to get back in its powerband. sometimes the drag created by the scooter at speed. might not be able to, unless you hit a down hill. then, it can overcome the drag and make you wonder where did that extra mph come from and leave you chasing your tail with weights and springs when all it really is, is the shifting path.
like I said, atleast read into the rear pulley grove shapes and angles/degree/ slant of the groove. it really makes a difference. just as much if not more than variator ramp angles
Brivander
Spree
Spree

Post by Brivander »

Currently the rear pulley is stock.