84 spree electrical issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Toilettes
Noob
Noob

84 spree electrical issues

Post by Toilettes »

Hey everybody! So happy I stumbled upon this site! Anyway my grandfather bought a 84 spree and passed away around 15 years ago. Since that time this poor girl has been sitting in storage. Now initially after a quick tune up and removal of old fuel brand new battery oil change I got it fired up! I let it run for about 5 minutes testing everything. Now after shutting her down I lost all power. No lights won’t turn over nothing. Now I currently don’t have a multi meter but I will tomorrow. Any idea what may causing this and where I should begin? Thanks!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 84 spree electrical issues

Post by Meatball »

Start by checking the in-line fuse. Its on the positive battery cable just a few inches from the battery. If that checks out, it could possibly be crusty ignition contacts. Possible bad regulator. Kinda flyin blind without multi-meter.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Toilettes
Noob
Noob

Post by Toilettes »

Update! Was waiting for a buddy to swing by with a multimeter and was poking around.I ended up just unplugging everything and plugging it back in and noticed the regulator was loose. She fires up just fine no problems. Thanks for the support!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Its nice to have a multi-meter on hand for times like this. The dirt cheap ones can be found at Harbor Freight for only a couple bucks. Theyre certainly not laser accurate as a Fluke or other top brands that cost many hundreds. However, theyre just the ticket for chasing down problems like this. Voltage readings, Ohms, Open/Closed Loop....so many handy uses.

Also, while youre there...pick up a cheap Digital Caliper for under $10. Mine has come in handy more times than I can remember. These are two handy items that everyone should have in their toolbox. Cheers!
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.