Crankcase Bearing Race Crack

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

beerbikestacos
Noob
Noob

Crankcase Bearing Race Crack

Post by beerbikestacos »

I am currently rebuilding a 1985 Spree. I cracked open my case with little issues. Upon opening the case, I noticed this bad opening on the inside of the crank where the bearings sit.

This is about the area where the oil pump enters. The bearings still seem to sit properly and I didn't find much debris. is this workable as long as I clean it up and get the bearings to seat properly? Or am I stuck buying a new left side case?
Wheelman-111

Re: Crankcase Bearing Race Crack

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I can't make out your problem from the picture, except wonder why the left half of the bearing socket looks like it's been heated. Maybe a little more background; WHY are you needing to rebuild? Did the bearing seize and spin?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The rub marks certainly tell the tale of a spun bearing. Luckily, good used Spree cases are fairly inexpensive. I would toss it and find a good one to rebuild. Be sure to check the big end bearing play on whatever crank you use before it goes in.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yes, it would appear so. But BeerBikesTacos' post is titled Bearing Race Crack, which from the crankcase pic a crack is not so apparent. I'd be leery of using that crankshaft altogether, since the pressure-fitted flywheels are more likely than not to be misaligned. Truing a crankshaft is a Dark Art.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH