AF05e Wont Stay Running

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sb69
Noob
Noob

AF05e Wont Stay Running

Post by Sb69 »

Good Morning, I am at my wits end with these beauties
I have two af05e Engines
1. out of an 85 spree (no kick start)
2. out of ann 88 elite 50

the Spree was my grabdpas. Sat for 10 years with a full tank of gas.
Cleaned the tank
new petcock (not vacuum)
New fuel lines
Cleaned the carb 3 times with a carb cleaning kit (the guitar looking strings )
new bystarter

Will start with carb cleaner shot in it, Run for about 3-5 seconds and die out.

I cannot figure out for the life of me what the issue could be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Re: AF05e Wont Stay Running

Post by otto-man »

My guess is that the slow jet and/or the small hole in the carb bowl where the bystarter tube goes, are still plugged. You will need something smaller than a guitar string to clean. Usually carb cleaner, compressed air, and a fine wire will do it. Sometimes you have to carefully remove the slow jet to get it clean. When clean, you should be able to see light through both. Another possible problem is that the float needle is stuck (not letting gas get to carb). Try loosening the drain screw to see if gas comes out.
Sb69
Noob
Noob

Post by Sb69 »

Gas comes out when the drain screw is loosened. I’ll see about those holes though. Thank you!
motormike

Post by motormike »

It's probably true...there are some passages still plugged.
1. the hole at the bottom of the bystarter well.
2. the passage from idle-air screw through the body to the throat.
3. the idle jet.
4. emulsifier tube holes.
Those 4 items are all VERY important to the ability of the engine to idle properly.
There may be other factors as well, but start by absolutely VERIFYING that ALL those
items are flowing carb-cleaner when sprayed directly into the hole with the spray-tube attached to the can.
BE CAREFUL and wear EYE PROTECTION ! !
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Sb69
Noob
Noob

Post by Sb69 »

Appreciate it! Im cleaning the carb for the 5th time and noticed the small hole next to the main jet seems to possibly not be open and the bystarter tube in the float bowl as well, Ill take any suggestions on getting those as clean as possible as well! Thank you!
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

Ok, now that you've cleaned the carb 5 times, you just entered the next level of carb cleaning. The hardest two areas to clean (in my opinion) are the ones you've mentioned. You will need a fine wire. I use small strands from larger copper automotive electric wire. A small needle nose pliers helps to keep the wire from bending as you try to open the hole in the bowl. The other(slow/idle jet) is easier to clean if you remove it. Find a small drill bit that will fit inside the brass tube (slow/idle jet). That will keep you from crushing it. Now, CAREFULLY, with firm pressure with a pliers or small vise-grip, turn the jet back and forth while pulling out. Again, CAREFULLY. Once you get it out, you'll be able to see what needs cleaning. Clean with fine wire and push back into place. Hope this helps. Good luck!
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

if you need something to clear the small ports on your carb, I like using a bicycle brake cable. fray out the end and pick the biggest strand that will fit in the port/hole/tube you are trying to clean. you can even use 2-3 twisted back together. I save old brake cables just for carb cleaning. fun fact: the strands of a brake cable are not all the same diameter or thickness. it has to do with the strength of the cable. so you have a few different strand thickness's to use in different size holes. I even use them to clean jets. copper is just not strong enough to push through any blockages with any type of force.
motormike

Post by motormike »

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/910-79 ... lsrc=aw.ds

^^THIS LINK is one of many that will get you a K & L Jet File set to clean you carburetor jets.
Guitar string and frayed cable wire are marginal in their effectiveness, but a REAL file set wile make easy work of the tough clogs.
PERSISTENCE is key on those very stubborn clogs.
VERIFICATION of FLOW is paramount before you start re-assembling everything.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

Looks like the perfect tool !! Thanks for the tip motormike!