Honda Spree Front Fairing Repair

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

52north
BMX
BMX

Honda Spree Front Fairing Repair

Post by 52north »

I’m looking for suggestions on how to fix the front fairing on my Spree. The crack is in a location where any reinforcement cannot be hidden on the “back side”.
BFD18F18-ED41-4671-9DA6-5CC1B64E99DC.jpeg
BFD18F18-ED41-4671-9DA6-5CC1B64E99DC.jpeg (6.67 KiB) Viewed 6937 times
I’ve tested a couple different epoxies (JB weld-clear weld and Permatex-plastic welder) on a broken front fender. I roughed up and then cleaned the plastic with acetone before applying the epoxy. It seems to me as though the bond broke fairly easy when I tested the fix but maybe this is as good as it gets? Any suggestions on different products or methods I could use?
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Re: Honda Spree Front Fairing Repair

Post by otto-man »

After years of trying to find something to repair that type of plastic, the only thing that has worked successfuly for me is to imbed a stainless steel screen "band-aid" into the plastic with a plastic welder. I have two from harbor freight that work pretty good. This process takes a lot of patience and practice, so try repairing on scrap stuff first. Don't over heat. It will distort the back side. Good luck!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

From what I can tell, the Spree fairings are made of a type of plastic (Polypropylene? Polyethylene??) that until recently NOTHING could bond except for plastic welding as Otto said. I have heard of (but have not explored...) a new-fangled adhesive that bonds these previously non-stickable plastics, perhaps a search is in order. I'd be willing to bet that the stuff will be expensive, but epoxy and polyurethane resins are hopeless.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
52north
BMX
BMX

Post by 52north »

otto-man wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:46 pm After years of trying to find something to repair that type of plastic, the only thing that has worked successfuly for me is to imbed a stainless steel screen "band-aid" into the plastic with a plastic welder. I have two from harbor freight that work pretty good. This process takes a lot of patience and practice, so try repairing on scrap stuff first. Don't over heat. It will distort the back side. Good luck!
Thanks for the insight. Would you mind posting a picture of the plastic welder you had the most success with?
Thanks
52north
BMX
BMX

Post by 52north »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:06 am Greetings:

From what I can tell, the Spree fairings are made of a type of plastic (Polypropylene? Polyethylene??) that until recently NOTHING could bond except for plastic welding as Otto said. I have heard of (but have not explored...) a new-fangled adhesive that bonds these previously non-stickable plastics, perhaps a search is in order. I'd be willing to bet that the stuff will be expensive, but epoxy and polyurethane resins are hopeless.
I’ll have to look into this. Is the plastic material used in the floor board exactly the same? I’ve got plastic issues. :cry:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Thats a pretty sticky spot to repair since the nose cap piece sits in that groove. I would suggest any build-up from the repair be on the inside. Mess up that groove and the nose cap will never sit on there right. Keep us posted on the progress. Ive tried a couple different epoxies and special magical “bonding” compounds with only minimal luck. Some hold longer than others but EVERY single one eventually failed too quickly to deem it a worthy repair.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

The one I've had good success with is a "Harbor Freight 80 watt iron plastic welder kit" for $16.99. It has the stainless screen included. Menards and Home Depot also have them. Sorry, for not posting pics (I'm low tech "old school" so loading was a problem). Yes the floor board is the same material. Just remember....Patience and practice. Good luck!
52north
BMX
BMX

Post by 52north »

I’m just shopping around for a plastic welder. Harbor Freight doesn’t ship to Canada and I can’t find one under $50 up here. Crazy price for a cheap and simple tool.