Spree runs very rich until airbox is opened

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Talonracer
Noob
Noob

Spree runs very rich until airbox is opened

Post by Talonracer »

Ok guys got a spree a few weeks ago it didn't run. Got it to run but it was really rich. I found the exhaust port in the cylinder was completely plugged. I did a new cylinder, piston and rings BBQ the muffler. Got it back together still runs very very rich wont even idle. I popped the top off the air cleaner and she came to life close the lid and it dies pulled the air filter still dies with lid closed lid off runs good. I have cleaned the carb and am 100% sure all the ports are clear. I have 120psi compression lid on or off. My next step is going to be to check vacuum at the intake any other suggestion would be appreciated. Sorry for such a long post thanks
Talonracer
Noob
Noob

Re: Spree runs very rich until airbox is opened

Post by Talonracer »

I also checked the reeds and they look good
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

How do you know it's running rich? Did you do a plug chop? Also, when you say you "Got it to run", that doesn't tell much. getting it to run could mean many things, and absolutely not the right way. For instance, did you do something like plug the oiler off and run premix? Did you throw a different jet on it? Just because it seems to come alive with the top off the air cleaner doesn't indicate a rich condition, nor does it indicate what the actual issue is. If you could, please give a run down of how and what you exactly did. Specifically, to the carb, what jet it has in it. You aren't going to just run rich without a cause.
Talonracer
Noob
Noob

Post by Talonracer »

Thanks for the response when I got it to run originally by cleaning out the exhaust port it ran the same as it does now bogs and blows tons of smoke out the tailpipe I assumed (I know what assuming does hahaha) that it was running rich. What mix ratio should i run never really thought about oil injector again thanks for the response and i really can't tell what jet i was thinking maybe the guy i got it off possibility drilled it out but its tore up and I cannot read any numbers on it I have a picture of the jet but not sure how to post
motormike

Post by motormike »

Something you said makes me suspect the crankcase has filled with oil and gas from sitting a long time.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Talonracer
Noob
Noob

Post by Talonracer »

I had the crankcase apart I thought that also but there really wasn't much in there I am leaning towards either the jet has been drilled or the muffler is still plugged
Talonracer
Noob
Noob

Post by Talonracer »

Got a little time today to work on the spree I found the problem there is a port on the slide bore thought it was a vent plugged it off the spree runs great need to do a little tuning but it idles and has great power thanks for the help
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Maybe it is an aftermarket carb? I believe all of those have the oil injection nipple which you thought was a vent 🤷🏻‍♂️ But that being open would cause a lean condition????
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Post carb pics
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Talonracer
Noob
Noob

Post by Talonracer »

how do i post pictures?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

bonesv wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:53 pm that being open would cause a lean condition????
That was my thought too, that he wasn't running rich, he was running lean. Going rich isn't impossible, but it is improbable. Also, as a side note, if that's a new piston as stated, you might wanna run an additional 80:1 in the tank till it's broken in.
Talonracer
Noob
Noob

Post by Talonracer »

My guess is it was actually running lean on fuel that's why there was so much smoke and the no power. Now the problem I am having is cold it runs great warm idles real nice crack the throttle and it dies. I checked the bystarter it's working properly this thing is killing me I'm sure I will figure it out didn't really have a lot of time to mess with it
Talonracer
Noob
Noob

Post by Talonracer »

ok so its been awhile and I'm calling this one fixed. That was a bowl vent and nothing more ended up buying a new carb from wincycle.com thing runs great. I don't know what was wrong with original carb but whoever worked on it before me messed something up in anyways thanks for all the help.