Help Sorting Out SE50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

lymbic
Noob
Noob

Help Sorting Out SE50

Post by lymbic »

I've had my 1987 Elite SE50 for 6 months now and recently I've been sorting out some fuel/air issues. But, I believe I need to take a step back and validate what kind of hardware I'm working with first.

I've got some photos here https://imgur.com/a/b6B21g0 showing the motor, exhaust, carb, and airbox. And after doing some research, I think I have a stock unrestricted SE50 motor and exhaust setup with the SE50P airbox and PA31D carb (#82 main jet). I'm at about 100' above sea level and the bike responded well from 0-WOT with this setup - topping out around 30-35 MPH.

I got a blockage in the idle circuit of the carb and while I had the carb out I decided I would upjet to the #85 and dial it in from there to see if I could get to 40 MPH. It will start, idle, and accelerate with the airbox shown in the photos, but not so well. Bogging down at 0-25% throttle, and topping out at 25 MPH. Obviously the airbox isn't fit for the setup.

Before I go replacing the airbox, I want to see if you guys could confirm what setup I do have exactly - is it an SE50/SE50P frankenbike, strictly SE50P, or some other configuration?

Also, do you guys have any recommendations moving forward? Getting a used SE50 airbox, upgrading to a performance filter, going back to the #82 setup?

Thank you for your help!