1986 honda spree water in engine

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Keving1118
Noob
Noob

1986 honda spree water in engine

Post by Keving1118 »

I recently figured out that my 86 spree has water mixed with oil inside the motor due to the previous owner having it outside for a good long time. Does anyone know how to get it all out? Because the engine wants to run but the water prevents it from kick starting and electric starting because it prevents the engine from turning. Worst case scenario is dismantling the engine and i really dont wanna do that. Any help?
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: 1986 honda spree water in engine

Post by vintagegarage »

Remove the spark plug, and use the kick starter about 20 times. If oil is till coming out of the spark plug hole after that, repeat.
Keving1118
Noob
Noob

Post by Keving1118 »

I seemed to get all the water out. before I saw ur reply I detached the engine from the body and flipped it upside down after removing the spark plug. I stayed there taking the water out and all until there was no more water left and I cleaned it and all that and then I put the engine back to the body and when done,I put the spark plug back but when I went to electric start it, it just engaged the starter but wouldn't move anything. it's like my engine is stuck but I move it myself and it moves fine. This is really frustrating because it just doesn't make sense to me
motormike

Post by motormike »

Are you squeezing the rear brake lever when pushing the starter button ?
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If by "move it myself" you mean the kickstarter spins the crank over, your engine is not "stuck". It is simply that the battery-powered starter system lacks the torque to spin it. The battery itself may be weak, the starter motor may be faulty, but the most likely issue is that the Bendix has seized - perhaps due to the same water exposure that caused the engine to get wet. I recommend (in order of easy-to-do) - test the battery for 13.4 volts or so. If that's OK, pull off the kickstarter cover and check that out. The Factory Manual recommends connecting the starter motor directly to 12v power and if it spins, it's good.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Keving1118
Noob
Noob

Post by Keving1118 »

When i try to kickstart it, it kicks twice before getting stuck just like the electric start. Smoke comes out if the cylinder hole connecting the exhaust
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

It still has oil and water in the crankcase.. take out the spark plug, kick it 20 times, if oil still comes out the spark plug hole, repeat.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Surprised it turns over at all having had water in it. When I have a motor with oil in it, I put gasoline into the crankcase to thin the oil for easy removal.
You know water and gas do not mix. Get all the oil out of the muffler also or it will smoke to high heaven if it does start up and heat the exhaust pipe.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

With water in the crankcase "for a good long time", I would be concerned with the condition of the crankshaft and connecting rod bearings. When it does start, if you hear a scraping or metal rubbing noise.....(IMO) you'll need to replace bearings. Hopefully you get lucky.