Leaky 83 NH80 carb again

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Leaky 83 NH80 carb again

Post by breaze »

Hi all, got a low mileage 83 NH80 I've been trying to get running again. Same problems most seem to have - carb floods, petcock sticks open, and choke control assembly not having full range of motion when fully hot or cold. After soaking overnight, the petcock and choke are functioning properly - after being in the fridge for a few minutes the air intake (farthest to right in pic) closes off and after sitting on a hot iron for a few minutes fuel and air intakes shut off.
My problem is the carburetor needle valve seat - been polishing and polishing but it will not stop the flow. The opening is just too irregular and worn to seal properly. I have her running with an old PZ19 carb I had for a CT90 - same in, out, and venturi diameters allowing me to use the stock airbox, but the bolt on holes are slightly wider so I had to use smaller bolts with nuts to put it on (see pic).
So, I'm looking for either a used top portion of carb for an 83 - 84 NH80 or a higher quality carb with the correct dimensions and a cable choke if possible.
I'd like to make sure I can put the rear left side cover on eventually (only piece I'm missing at the moment) and use the existing air-box which is attached to the rear wheel cover. I know most folks would use this opportunity to put on a bigger carb and re-tune to get better performance, but I got this scoot as a quarantine project and will probably sell it once it's redone so I'm thinking keep it as close to stock as possible.

I've found lots of posts about this problem but not finding what the solutions were - did anyone find a good replacement carb? anyone upgrade and have the original carb still around?
Attachments
PZ19.jpg
PZ19.jpg (297.86 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90