Childhood Spree rebuild

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Campfire
BMX
BMX

Re: Childhood Spree rebuild

Post by Campfire »

Lol! I know, right!? Got it running properly now that I put the main jet back inside the carb. (d*** it!).

So, now that I’ve learned not to rebuild carbs while being distracted by 10 year olds, one last problem.

When I go full throttle, the throttle slide sticks at full throttle. I have to unscrew the throttle cable cap and use a screwdriver to reseat the slide at the bottom. Sometimes it the slider slides back while I’m driving it while other times it gets physically jammed at full throttle.

Otherwise it runs and idles perfect. It seems to have better pickup than the Metropolitan. I almost can’t believe how good it runs after sitting for over 20 years.
Campfire
BMX
BMX

Post by Campfire »

The “action” of the throttle is very good. Plenty of snap back to idle when the slider isn’t physically stuck. I notice the slider sticking issue with the carb off the bike and when I’m actually riding on the road.
Campfire
BMX
BMX

Post by Campfire »

Is there a spacer that sits above the throttle slider? I’m trying figure out why the slider is being pulled too far up by the throttle cable. Perhaps it got lost when my friend disassembled the carb last year.
Campfire
BMX
BMX

Post by Campfire »

Disregard the previous questions. Throttle slider issue resolved itself. Just tuned the low idle. Thing runs like brand new. Time to put the plastics back on. Thanks dudes!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Rip it! Come back when it breaks again. Dont forget to have fun.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Campfire
BMX
BMX

Post by Campfire »

I’m ordering tires newer than 1987 tonight along with new tubes and tire levers. Slider is still a bit sticky but I think it will totally resolve with use.
Campfire
BMX
BMX

Post by Campfire »

Just thought you guys would appreciate a short update. I have the new 10-2.75s mounted. This thing runs great. Thanks so much for your patient replies. I’ll try to contribute with my limited knowledge base.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

:peace:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.