Are they governed?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dagon72
Noob
Noob

Are they governed?

Post by Dagon72 »

I have an 89 Elite E SB50P. Carb has been cleaned and fuel is good. It has a couple of issues I cannot pin down. When wide out and down hill, so I know it maybe redlining, it will back fire, and bog down. Are they governed? If I let off the throttle, sometimes it will recover, sometimes it dies. When it is warm, it will not turn over with the push start, but will kickstart most of the time. I know outside temps can cause issues, it is close to 40 and 45 degrees right now.
bonesv

Re: Are they governed?

Post by bonesv »

No, it sounds like it’s soft-seizing because of lack of enough fuel, either from carburetor jet being partially clogged, the air filter is not correctly implemented or you have a substitute filter, or there’s unwanted air leaking into the motor somehow.
You will need to investigate all these possibilities.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Dagon72
Noob
Noob

Post by Dagon72 »

Ok that makes sense. I just had it checked for air leaks, and had the carb professionally cleaned using their machine. So maybe the reeds? The bike has 8500 miles on it. Everything is stock, and I replaced and oiled the air filter.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

The main jet or there’s some sort of leak possible (crank seals) clean carb again. It must be disassembled and cleaned thoroughly and verify all passages are open before reassembling. If main jet is severely plugged or corroded, replace with new one maybe get a size larger?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861