Carb swap and motor ID question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

wwwyzzerdd
Noob
Noob

Carb swap and motor ID question

Post by wwwyzzerdd »

Hi everybody, I had to swap an 84-85 nq50 carb onto my spree. My spree is an 85 but the motor has the kick start so I know it's been swapped. Do I use the carb adjust specs for the 84-85? Or 86?

Also I've been having trouble identifying whether or not this motor is an nq50 or an sb50, people say something about the sb50 case having a hump while the nq50 is flat. After looking up pictures of both I can't see a noticeable difference between them. My motor originally had an sb50 carb on it, but it has been hacked so that's why I got another carb for it from a dead 85 nq50. It also has the sb50 intake and reeds. I don't have the dead nq50 or I'd compare it to mine.

And also the front drive pulley is different than the ones I see pictures of in the nq50, I didn't get a pic while it was apart.. But it doesn't have the flat outer edge that I see on newer nq50s and it is also bigger than and doesn't have fins on the back like the older nq50s. Instead it is rounded on the outer edge and other than the ramp obviously, it is flat on both sides. I haven't been able to find a pic of one similar to mine either so unfortunately the only way I can show it is to take the cover back off, which I guess I'll do if I need to. I tried to look up some sb50 info to maybe get an idea but all I ever find are people saying they're different, can't find any good pictures of the sb50 with the case off. If it is an sb50 then I'll order an sb50 carb. Or look into trying to fix the one I have. Cause right now I'm running premix 32:1 using the honda gn2 oil. I installed tazlands 48mm bbk, and have also installed the larger jet he included into the nq50 carb. It runs pretty good, but I don't like running it without the injector because it's still needs to break in. And neither the spree carb or sb50 intake have an injector hookup so just to run it I have the injector pumping into a bottle.

Sorry for the long read, and I am thankful for any replies I get. And forgive me for my ignorance, I don't work on scooters often, much less a 2 stroke.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Carb swap and motor ID question

Post by Meatball »

That Tazland bore is probably the issue. Take it off and use it for something else. In my experience, Ive found that it makes a great doorstop. However, it still might seize on you.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
wwwyzzerdd
Noob
Noob

Post by wwwyzzerdd »

It runs fine, for now anyway. I really just need to know if I need to adjust the carb according to the year of the carb or the year of the spree. I've run through one entire tank of gas (32:1) and it seems ok. Right now I have the carb mixture screw turned out 1 7/8 turns since the carb came off an 85 motor.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

You cant tune the carb to any factory specs while using a non-factory bore. The carb needs to be tuned to what the bore wants. I suggest a tach and CHT for guidance.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Your BBK setup is wrong, will probably blow. If it's an SB50 engine, you are better off with the SB50 intake.. Actually, even if it's an NQ50 engine, the SB50 intake is better for that BBK. Bigger jet that ships with the BBK is useless. Follow these directions: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34653
wwwyzzerdd
Noob
Noob

Post by wwwyzzerdd »

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the link. I still have the original cylinder, guess I could hone it and put new rings in. I really just want it to run good, don't care too much about upgrading, just thought I'd go for the bbk since I had it apart. Does suck to pay 95 bucks for the bbk just to toss it though, that's gonna put this spree on the back burner...

And I still don't know for sure if it's an sb50, there's not a whole lot of clear info about the sb50, but I will say the bbk cylinder looks externally identical to the stock cylinder that was on it. Whoever had it before me must've had a parts elite too, because this spree has the taillights from an elite rigged onto it. So I'm kinda leaning towards it being an sb50 just wish I could find more defining info on the sb50.

I messaged chopchop123 when I bought it and asked if the kit would work with the sb50, cause I had my suspicions then that it might be an sb50, and he said yes. I was under the impression he was a reputable member here so I trusted him on that.