Honda Spree with no low end power from stop.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Davegmc
Noob
Noob

Honda Spree with no low end power from stop.

Post by Davegmc »

Hello: Wondering if you folks can help me. I Acquired a 1986 Spree NQ50 which looks bone stock. 2000 miles. Looks to be in great condition. I cleaned the plug and carb and put in fresh gas and got it running fairly well. It has no power from a stop, and just will not move an adult from a stop. So I took over to a local motorcycle shop. The mechanic spent 3 hours on it, went thru the carb. He put an aftermarket air cleaner on it. Just could not keep it running right when the stock air cleaner connecting hose was installed. So now it purrs like a kitten. Starts the 2nd you hit the button. Enricher works fine. idles great. When the rear tire is off the ground it will rap out well. Still won't push an adult from a stop without having to Flintstone it. Just bogs down. I realize these are gutless but an adult should at least be able to ride it on a level surface. Compression is 120psi. I did a leakdown test at 5 psi (pressure only) and it held pressure fine. Today i went thru the process Meatball described in an earlier post (clean belt in alcohol, Brakeclean all the pulley surfaces and clutch bell and scuff up disc pads. Seemed to make no difference. So, any ideas why no power from a dead stop? Thank you for your time!

Dave
Davegmc
Noob
Noob

Re: Honda Spree with no low end power from stop.

Post by Davegmc »

forgot to mention that I put a different exhaust on it that a neighbor kid had to eliminate the possibility that the exhaust was clogged. It is basically a straight pipe but did not improve the power. I also took a look at the exhaust ports while I had it off.

Dave
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

While sitting on it and taking off, you give it gas...what does the motor sound like its doing? Is it high-revving with slow take off or is it bogging down?

Oh...and I suggest you stay away from that motorcycle shop.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Davegmc
Noob
Noob

Post by Davegmc »

Hello: Definitely bogging down.

Thanks!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Compression at 120 you say? How much do you weigh? Big boy?

Have you checked belt width? Is your clutch shot? Are you missing the thrust washer on your drive face?
Davegmc
Noob
Noob

Post by Davegmc »

Hi: Yes 120 psi. I'm big, a little over 2 bells. But I had my daughter ride it to see if it would propel her. It would not, and she probably weights 130. I did not think to measure the belt when I had it off today. But I will be glad to do that. I believe it is an OEM belt and looked to be in great shape. There was definitely a thrust washer on the crank. I am not too familiar with these clutches. So I don't have a good feel for its condition. I was able to pull the outer pulley away from the inner to pull the belt closer to center when I was installing the belt. It would be nice if I had a known good clutch that I could try. When the rear tire is off the ground the engine will wrap out and the rear tire seems to be spinning full speed so the clutch seems to be grabbing and when the tire is on the ground the engine doesn't die, so the clutch seems to be disengaging. Are these clutches available? Where do you buy your parts, gaskets, seals, bearings, rings, that kind of stuff?

Thanks
Dave
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The clutch isnt available anymore. Supply dried up 20+ yrs ago. I have a new clutch from an overseas scooter that I suspect would fit. You would possibly need to swap the springs. The Spree clutch is rather unique with its’ reverse rotation to modern scooters. The only other option is buying a used Spree clutch in good condition or having your clutch re-lined with new shoes.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Clutch can be repadded by JWPARTSPLUS. https://www.jwpartsplus.com/jw-clutch-worx.html Highly doubt it's the springs. If the springs were shot, the clutch would engage too soon because they couldn't resist the centrifugal force anymore from being worn. But none the less, good idea to change them if the clutch is repadded. Find some here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/401707497927 Those are Yamaha Jog springs but works the same on a Spree (note, they ship from the UK and will take a couple weeks to get to the states). You'll want to use the yellow ones. If neither of these fixes the issue, then by reasonable deduction, the problem is the belt. For that, you can get at most online retailers and even your local honda dealer. Look for part # 23100-GK8-870.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Davegmc wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:03 pm It is basically a straight pipe but did not improve the power.
A straight pipe will actually kill performance. A 2 stroke engine works different then a 4 stroke. It relies on back pressure from the muffler to send a sonic pulse back up into the cylinder that has unspent fuel in it. Without it, you can see heat spikes, loss of power and poor performance. Get the right pipe, ditch that straight pipe.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

I agree with everything said so far. im guessing the belt is worn too thin/narrow. or the contra spring is worn out. while the spree isn't variated, it still will pull the belt towards the center at high rpm.
do you have a long hill near by? start at the top and get a rolling start. will it get up to speed then? once at the bottom on flatter ground, will it maintain speed or does it drop down to a snails pace again?
also, is the clutch bell discolored or blueish? if you remove its bolt and pull the bell off. inspect the clutch pads, there should be 1/32 or more on them. think of brake shoes on a car. maybe snap a pic and post it of the clutch and bell and belt. maybe we can see something you possibly overlooked. when the engine is off is there a lot of slack on the belt? where does it ride in the front and back pulleys? there shouldn't be much slack
also, I have a cluch, pulley, and bell on an engine sitting on the shelf. let me know if you want it. im not gonna be using it.
Davegmc
Noob
Noob

Post by Davegmc »

Thank you Meatball, Eclark5483, and harleyracer59! Greatly appreciated!

harleyracer59: I would like to purchase them. Could you email me at davekathy7707@gmail.com with a price. I am in 98290 zip. I could pay by Paypal (or whatever method you prefer).

Thanks
Dave
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I live 10min from you, dave
Davegmc
Noob
Noob

Post by Davegmc »

That is crazy meatball! Hopefully we can meet up sometime. My email is listed above.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

Davegmc wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:35 am Thank you Meatball, Eclark5483, and harleyracer59! Greatly appreciated!

harleyracer59: I would like to purchase them. Could you email me at davekathy7707@gmail.com with a price. I am in 98290 zip. I could pay by Paypal (or whatever method you prefer).

Thanks
Dave
ill snap some pics to email you tonight. I gotta get some boxes. I have a carb I need to ship to ruckenstein anyways.