1989 Honda Elite SB50P

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

zackman2091
Noob
Noob

1989 Honda Elite SB50P

Post by zackman2091 »

I recently picked up a 1989 SB50P Elite. It has 5000 miles on it and runs pretty good but I have noticed some small issues with it. When I purchased it the guy said the battery was bad so it wouldn't power turn signals. (It would power them but only one click and that was it) I just replaced the battery today and now everything works with lights and horn but now the electric start does not work. When I turn the key squeeze the break, the brake light doesn't come on or do anything but once it is kick started the brake light works (when the turn signal is engaged the brake light also blinks).

Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: 1989 Honda Elite SB50P

Post by vintagegarage »

There is a switch for the brake light behind each of the brake handles. You should be able to see them and there is a little black plastic pin that moves in and out when you squeeze the brake lever. Either brake lever switch should turn on the brake light. First thing to try is to use the brake lever opposite to the one you are using with the engine off, but the key on, and see if the brake light comes on using that lever. If it does, squeeze that brake lever and try the electric start with the key on. You don't need to squeeze a brake lever to start the scooter using the kickstart. You have additional wiring problems, as you point out, the brake light shouldn't blink when the turn signal is engaged. Study the wiring connectors at the front and rear of the scooter and see what doesn't look right.