1989 nq50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Schatzdylan96
Noob
Noob

1989 nq50

Post by Schatzdylan96 »

Looking for some help on what the issue might be with my 89 nq50. I can get it to fire when I spray some starter fluid into the carb but I can't get it to stay running. I've cleaned the gas filter, tank and replaced fuel and vaccume line. I've also cleaned carb and replaced spark plug. I've noticed that I'm not getting suction on vaccume tube that goes to the carb
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1989 nq50

Post by eclark5483 »

The NQ50 was only produced from 84-87 and it doesn't have a gas filter unless you count the one inside the petcock. You sure it's a Spree?
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Shatz,
Have a look at this topic:

http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... shaft+seal

and report back here with what you find..

Yes, as eclark says, your NQ50 is not a 1989. While it is sitting on the centerstand, lay on the ground on the right side of it with you head near the front wheel, and look up. The model year will be in large font on the VIN sticker.. please report back here with what you found on this as well.
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

One more thing.. starter fluid has no place in a scooter shop.. it probably means that you are removing the air filter box, and perhaps even trying to start it with the air filter box removed. Instead, simply fill a pump oil can with gasoline and a small amount of oil. Leave the air filter box in place, then unscrew the cap on the top of the carb where the throttle cable goes into the carb. Lift the cap slightly without removing the throttle slide, squirt a pump or two of your gasoline/oil mix into the slide, put the cap back on the carb, and hit your starter button. It is much easier and you will get a better understanding of how the engine runs by leaving the air box in place.
Schatzdylan96
Noob
Noob

Post by Schatzdylan96 »

I will upload pictures later this afternoon