What do I need to do to get my spree to run?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

justboughthondaspree
Noob
Noob

What do I need to do to get my spree to run?

Post by justboughthondaspree »

Hey guys, I'm new to this website but it seemed like a great way to get help. I recently purchased a Honda Spree probably from 84'. I just want to know what the recommended steps are to get it running again. The Spree has been sitting for a year, so any advice helps. Oh and they said it ran before parked. Again, anything helps! Thanks!
86 Spree
Just keep trying!
It'll start some day!
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: What do I need to do to get my spree to run?

Post by vintagegarage »

Start by laying down on the ground on the right side of the scooter with the scooter on the center stand, with your head near the front wheel, and your legs near the rear wheel. Look up and see if you see the VIN sticker on the frame. If you can see it, the year will be in large font on the sticker, and you won't have to guess about the year. Then put in a new fully charged battery, and hook it up properly. Then squeeze one of the brake handles until the brake light comes on, and while holding it, push on the starter button. If the engine turns over, but doesn't fire, most likely, there is no gasoline in the carb, or the jets in the carb are blocked. Examine the spark plug, and if it looks dry, squirt in some gasoline/oil mix into the spark plug hole, put the spark plug back in, and try starting it again. If it fires and runs for a few seconds, you know the spark is ok. If it doesn't continue running, do a search on the forum for how to clean the carb and follow the instructions in the post.
justboughthondaspree
Noob
Noob

Thanks, I took the carb off and it's surprisingly clean. Float bowl is clean, and jet is clean. I bought a new battery, it should be here in a week. I'll just have to put fresh gas in and see what happens. Thanks!
86 Spree
Just keep trying!
It'll start some day!
motormike

Post by motormike »

If it starts, but won't hold a good idle, it's almost always the idle jet plugged.
If it starts and has a run-away throttle, then there is an air leak, OR throttle slide has been installed 180 degrees off.
Be aware that the air filter and airbox are critical to proper running on these tiny engines.
Just trying to give you some basic knowledge about Spree.
Good luck and report back here....motor
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
justboughthondaspree
Noob
Noob

motormike wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:41 pm If it starts, but won't hold a good idle, it's almost always the idle jet plugged.
If it starts and has a run-away throttle, then there is an air leak, OR throttle slide has been installed 180 degrees off.
Be aware that the air filter and airbox are critical to proper running on these tiny engines.
Thanks! I took the carb off and checked the jet. Jet and float bowl are clean! Now I'm waiting for a battery to come in the mail, so I'll update when I drain gas and install new battery!
86 Spree
Just keep trying!
It'll start some day!
justboughthondaspree
Noob
Noob

motormike wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:41 pm If it starts, but won't hold a good idle, it's almost always the idle jet plugged.
My battery came and I cleaned off the terminals as they work quotes corroded. I gave the electric start a push and not three pushes later, it started right up! I thought I was gonnna have to do more work but no! Thanks for The help!
86 Spree
Just keep trying!
It'll start some day!
justboughthondaspree
Noob
Noob

vintagegarage wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:50 am Start by laying down on the ground on the right side of the scooter with the scooter on the center stand, with your head near the front wheel, and your legs near the rear wheel. Look up and see if you see the VIN sticker on the frame. If you can see it, the year will be in large font on the sticker, and you won't have to guess about the year. Then put in a new fully charged battery, and hook it up properly. Then squeeze one of the brake handles until the brake light comes on, and while holding it, push on the starter button. If the engine turns over, but doesn't fire, most likely, there is no gasoline in the carb, or the jets in the carb are blocked. Examine the spark plug, and if it looks dry, squirt in some gasoline/oil mix into the spark plug hole, put the spark plug back in, and try starting it again. If it fires and runs for a few seconds, you know the spark is ok. If it doesn't continue running, do a search on the forum for how to clean the carb and follow the instructions in the post.
Thanks! I found out it's a 86' and it didn't take much to get going! I put on new fuel lines and a new battery and it fired right up after three pushes of the electric start! Thanks for the help!
86 Spree
Just keep trying!
It'll start some day!