Engine Tachometer for carb adjustment (86 spree nq50d)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

kanderson4893
Noob
Noob

Engine Tachometer for carb adjustment (86 spree nq50d)

Post by kanderson4893 »

Hey so I apologize if this has been answered but I've searched the forums, wiki, and service manual.

What tool do you use to measure engine speed when adjusting the carb?

Is there a specific tach that needs to be used for the spree? It's a 1986 spree NQ50D A if that makes a difference.

Also where do you hook it up and how?

I've been trying to adjust carb by feel and sound at what I think is 1800 rpms but I don't think I'm getting close enough.

For reference, this is my first carburated motor but I am fairly mechanically inclined (everything I've worked on has had a working tach). The scooter is running and driving at stock settings after doing a carb clean but I get the occasional bog on acceleration after cold start, feels like the mixture screw is slightly off but I can't quite find the right spot.
Wheelman-111

Re: Engine Tachometer for carb adjustment (86 spree nq50d)

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I have one of THESE mounted to each of my Vespas. Works great. 2032 battery lasts a couple of years and easily replaced if you mount with sticky Velcro. You do have to disassble some plastics to reach the spark plug HT wire, wrap the little red wire 5 times around and secure with included mini zip-ties, done.

On the other hand, you would be well-equipped to add a temp gauge if you plan to do any modifications/upgrades. In that case, SSS (above) can sell you a Vapor by Trail Tech. This includes, tach, CHT, and a speedometer you can calibrate to considerably greater accuracy than the ever-hopeful Spreedometer.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH