86 Spree drive belt

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

marximus
Noob
Noob

86 Spree drive belt

Post by marximus »

Hi guys, first off I'm a noob, however this site has helped me alot in the six months I've had my 86 Spree.... So thanks!

So my issue began with the nut that holds the front gear for the drive belt falling off. Easy fix? Nope! First it wasnt on tight enough, then I believe it was on too tight. I was riding home last week and the belt snapped, got caught between the rear gear and the case causing my rear tire to stop spinning. Luckily I had a ratchet and got the case apart, the broken belt unstuck and managed to push it alllll the way home.

I ordered a new honda belt, but I'm a little apprehensive just slapping it back in. I read on the wikispreedia about torque and how that nut has to be tightened perfectly, however I dont have access to that kind of equipment. I have a 9/16 socket and a pair of vice grips. Maybe someone can post a picture of their nuts :lol: so I can get a rough idea of how far to get the nut on or offer any advice? I'm a super noob with this stuff and unfortunately I rely on my spree for daily transportation. Thanks in advance!
bonesv

Re: 86 Spree drive belt

Post by bonesv »

Go to auto parts store and borrow what you need. Ask for help if you have local friends or motorcycle shop. The splines on the end of the crankshaft are most critical.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
marximus
Noob
Noob

Post by marximus »

Sorry, splines?
My belt arrived today, managed to wrangle it on. Guestemated the torque the best I can. Gonna test drive it tomorrow. Hopefully its happy. $65 cdn for a piece of rubber!
I got the blueish color from overheating. Does that mean the clutch is toast? I really dont want to take the rear pulley off... no tool rental program here. I called around to a few small engine mechanics. Only one who will look at a spree $85 /hr. Bastards.... anyways wish me luck on my test drive..
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

marximus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:15 am Sorry, splines?
My belt arrived today, managed to wrangle it on. Guesstimated the torque the best I can. Gonna test drive it tomorrow. Hopefully its happy. $65 cdn for a piece of rubber!
I got the blueish color from overheating. Does that mean the clutch is toast? I really dont want to take the rear pulley off... no tool rental program here. I called around to a few small engine mechanics. Only one who will look at a spree $85 /hr. Bastards.... anyways wish me luck on my test drive..
Sorry, I was not aware of your location, eh? Splines are located on the crankshaft end just beyond the threads you tightened down the nut on? Those are to be considered a critical necessity. Just wanted to make you aware of that before you got the belt. The blue-ish color is a sign of possible warping/out of round, from overheating but not a definite. The metal of the clutch bell may be compromised somewhat but probably not to a point of concern on a spree! Best wishes for success! :thumbwink:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
marximus
Noob
Noob

Post by marximus »

So I made it home from my first test ride today. Took the crankcase off and the belt and nut are where they are supposed to be still! New carb and belt actually got me a couple more mph than prior which is a nice bonus as well. I have a lead on a torque wrench so I will get it torqued to spec next week.... Success!!!
Now I have a small oil leak to figure out tomorrow which is kind of weird. Its on the bottom of the crankcase, right at the back to the right of the clutch bell. There are 4 bolts I removed but they don't seem to do anything. Once I get this fixed any takers on what will need replacing next?
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

Small oil leak is pretty normal when you remove the side cover on a Spree because the back two bolts (the 50mm and 55mm) help secure the transmission cover. A small amount of oil will leak from transmission and leave a couple of drops on the floor. Once you tighten the cover, the drips should stop.
marximus
Noob
Noob

Post by marximus »

Yeah, I kinda 'snapped' the 55mm bolt. Gotta find a replacement still
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

bonesv wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:01 pm Go to auto parts store and borrow what you need. Ask for help if you have local friends or motorcycle shop. The splines on the end of the crankshaft are most critical.
Bonesv is sooooo corect. If you reassemble and don't line up the front pulley with the splines....you'l be looking for a crankshaft.