87 Spree gets hot and stalls while riding.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jake_03
Noob
Noob

87 Spree gets hot and stalls while riding.

Post by Jake_03 »

Ok so I have a problem with my 87 spree with 790 miles on it. When ever I ride for about 15-20min it overheats and stalls. When riding I noticed it was really slow coming off of stops. When it stalls after 20min I can’t get it to start up again. When I examined the bike it was really hot. When it cools off it starts normally. When I pulled the spark plug I found that smoke was coming from the hole (not sure if this is normal). I could not find any melted wires or anything so I’m not sure what to do. Airbox is stock and sealed. Air mix is set to 1.5 turns. What should I do next?
motormike

Re: 87 Spree gets hot and stalls while riding.

Post by motormike »

Your bike is experiencing "soft-sieze".
Running too hot because likely too lean.
Could be not oiling properly.
Could be a vacuum leak.
Could be exhaust leak.
Could be....other stuff I don't know because I don't know a lot of stuff.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Jake
Noob
Noob

Post by Jake »

Thanks for the quick reply. I was also thinking my oil pump may not be working properly. Can i just add like 4 bottle caps of oil to my tank and see if that changes anything?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Bottle caps of oil is arbitrary. The mixture needs to be more precise. If youre certain the pump is providing 0 oil, it needs to be replaced, repaired or deleted completely. If the pump is spinning without itself getting lubed by passing oil it will seize, sheer off teeth and send bits of metal into your motor...thats if the crank bearings and bore last that long without oil. The ideal mixture is 32:1. This means 4oz of oil per gallon. Mixing in-tank is difficult to achieve proper mixture on a Spree since the tank is merely 0.6 gal. Its best to use a separate jug for mixing.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Jake_03
Noob
Noob

Post by Jake_03 »

How am I supposed to check if the oil pump is working?
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

While idling, pull the oil line off at intake manifold. The RPM's will increase. Put your finger on the fitting on the manifold and it will idle down. Check to see if oil is coming out of the oil line. Oil should come out of the oil line slowly. If no oil, you may have air in the oil lines or pump or no oil in tank. Bleed oil pump and lines and try again. Usually when a Spree oil pump is bad, it lets too much oil pass through. Don't run motor longer than it takes to check.
Jake_03
Noob
Noob

Post by Jake_03 »

Okay. Before I do this I was wondering if this issue could be related to my gas cap not venting.
Jake
Noob
Noob

Post by Jake »

Still can not get it to run right. Adding oil did not work, made it run rich. drilling the gas cap did not work. still stalls after riding about 5 miles running WOT. What should i do next?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Let’s back up a bit. Is this scooter new to you? or have you owned it for awhile?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Follow-up to Bones' questions: Did you make any changes, adjustments, or parts replacements just before the symptom appeared?

It's not common, but sometimes the problem is electrical. A coil that's going bad can work while cool, but fail as it gets hot. VR might do the same. Components testing is described in the Service Manual.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Jake
Noob
Noob

Post by Jake »

ok so replying to bones, it is "new" to me. I got it from my dads old garage. It was taken there because it did not start or idle. I cleaned carb, now start and runs great. Except when im about 5-10 min down the road it stalls. Like when i let off the throttle and then try to give it more gas it sounds like it bogs and if i keep giving it throttle it dies. Then it is hard to start.
Jake
Noob
Noob

Post by Jake »

Replying to Wheelman I have drilled a hole in the gas cap as Honda said that was the issue (it wasnt). I have carb at manual settings. I have a new petcock that i got from Honda themselves (because somebody said if i got it on ebay or something it may not work). Then I replaced gas lines. replaced spark plug. Got a new air filter (not box, box is still stock). That is about it. as i can tell it gets like really hot even if im just in the driveway riding a little bit. I thought it could be an air leak but im not sure. Could this be the issue? Thanks for the help!
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

Have you tried a cooler spark plug?
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Pull the carburetor bowl and check the jet size. Be aware of anything odd or suspicious. Are your fan shroud covers compromised in any way? Is there an actual "fan" spinning in there? Maybe you do have an air leak somewhere? Massive oil dripping from the exhaust flange mounting area? Oil pump o-ring? Intake manifold or reed block gasket? Does anything look like it's been "replaced" engine-wise? Like do you see any new gaskets sticking out of the base of the cylinder? That could indicate a "new" replaced bore or internal repair of some sort. If it does appear to be a replacement, it could just still be in "break-in" process, in which the "holding it wide open throttle" for 5 minutes would be a no-no? ^v^ You have some investigative work to do and it's really difficult to be of much help from this position. We can throw out suggestions and opinions but that's about it. Send us few clear pics if you like.......
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Jake_03
Noob
Noob

Post by Jake_03 »

Cubey what spark plug do you reccomend?