Spree tire spin at idle

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Spree tire spin at idle

Post by Volvo850R »

Hey guys. I got my spree clutch religned last year. The tire spins at idle still and the launch is very poor. Today i put in a set of yellow Leo Vince clutch springs. Still spins at idle.. i noticed the holes that the springs go into are stretched out. The springs just pop in and out easy.. any ideas ? Thanks
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Spree tire spin at idle

Post by eclark5483 »

Might wanna get a new belt installed if you haven't already. As for the spinning, could be a couple things. 1. New padding just needs a bit of break in time, JWPartplus lines them pretty thick so might experience a slight rubbing on the bell till you've put a few miles. 2. bearings in the wheel might be sticking, which I suspect is the case, perhaps a bit rusty, not much you can do about it there. 3. clutch springs might not have been installed properly so idle centrifigul force is making the shoes engage too soon, or 4. idle is set too high. I used a tach on mine to dial that in correctly. You should be at 1800 +/- 100 rpm at idle on a warm bike. A cold bike should rev a bit higher and yes, perhaps spin the wheel when it's up on the stand, but you should be able to stop this spinning by tapping your hand on the wheel or having it on pavement. If you CAN'T get it to stop by doing this, then the bearings are probably not the issue, it means a shoe or shoes are biting down on the bell too early for some reason. Sprees have poor takeoff anyways, so even with new springs and new padding it could seem weak. What's important is how the bike runs on the top end with the new padding. Clutch springs only have 1 real purpose and that's to hold back the wheel at idle till "X" amount of rpm where they can no longer hold back the centrifugal force and engage the bell. If you didn't need to idle, there would be no need for springs. I'd put several miles on the bike, let those springs and new padding work themselves in for a bit, then re-evaluate. Both of mine were also the same way after repadding and a spring change. They both idle just fine now with no spinning EXCEPT at cold start when it idles a bit higher and the tire is up off the ground.
Volvo850R
Goped
Goped

Re: Spree tire spin at idle

Post by Volvo850R »

I’ve put a couple hundred miles on it since I got the clutch pads. belt is brand new ... springs are correct... the holes that The springs click into were stretched out real far so the springs were completely loose I could open the shoes with my hands ....I filled the holes with JB super steel putty. And then redrilled them.the springs are nice and tight and the problem is solved...
1984 elite ch125
1985 spree nq50
1986 spree nq50
1987 helix cn250