Non-modified Spree Top Speed

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

52north
BMX
BMX

Non-modified Spree Top Speed

Post by 52north »

I've got an 84 Spree restored to factory condition. New piston and rings, original exhaust (cleaned), original final drive gearing, carburetor and airbox. I weigh around 175lbs and it tops out at 25 mph. It is not an Iowa Spree. It starts easily and runs smoothly at idle, mid and wide open throttle. #68 main jet. No bogging at any point. I don't want to modify the scooter other than maybe installing a 1/2"x24" drive belt. I'm looking for any tips on how to get this Spree running efficiently so I can reach 30 mph.
bonesv

Re: Non-modified Spree Top Speed

Post by bonesv »

52north wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:08 pm I've got an 84 Spree restored to factory condition. New piston and rings, original exhaust (cleaned), original final drive gearing, carburetor and airbox. I weigh around 175lbs and it tops out at 25 mph. It is not an Iowa Spree. It starts easily and runs smoothly at idle, mid and wide open throttle. #68 main jet. No bogging at any point. I don't want to modify the scooter other than maybe installing a 1/2"x24" drive belt. I'm looking for any tips on how to get this Spree running efficiently so I can reach 30 mph.
How many miles on the new bore?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
52north
BMX
BMX

Post by 52north »

Cylinder was in good shape so I only honed it. Probably only 5 miles on it since rebuild.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I would run a compression test after the hone/ring job to see what the bore is doing before I look to other areas.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
52north
BMX
BMX

Post by 52north »

Compression is definitely low at 100 psi.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

52north wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:36 am Compression is definitely low at 100 psi.
There's part of your top speed problem........of course the belt width being within spec is the other part. The piston rings have to be properly seated to achieve best compression.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Not sure where you got your rings from. Theres alot of junk kits on the market. Below is a the only kit I would use to refresh a spree. Pretty cheap too!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Spree-NQ ... Sw~4hb1LMv
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
52north
BMX
BMX

Post by 52north »

Meatball wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:37 am Not sure where you got your rings from. Theres alot of junk kits on the market. Below is a the only kit I would use to refresh a spree. Pretty cheap too!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Spree-NQ ... Sw~4hb1LMv
That’s the kit I have in it. The new kit did not provide an expander ring so I assumed it was not required with the new piston and rings. Are guys using their old expander ring with this kit?
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

You did fine.. you just use the two rings that came with the kit, nothing more.
52north
BMX
BMX

Post by 52north »

I might just pull the top end apart again to see if I can find the reason for low compression. This might also be why after a week or so of sitting I can’t start the scooter without spraying mixed fuel in the carburetor. Possibly not enough suction to suck the fuel into the cylinder.
52north
BMX
BMX

Post by 52north »

I'm trying to find a cylinder with less wear. I think I need cylinder P/N 12101GK8670 but don't know if A or B will be stamped on it. Anyone know what the service manual is referring to when they talk about the A or B mark on the crankcase mating surface that needs to match the cylinder?
Attachments
cylinder.jpg
cylinder.jpg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 5897 times
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

What the manual is saying is to look at the crankcase mating surface of the *cylinder* and note if there is an "A" or "B" mark on it.

What I found is that "A" and "B" cylinders have slightly different bores and were mated to slightly different piston diameters at time of original assembly. I think it was due to a parts selection 'binning' to optimize production yields. Thus a minor cylinder over size would be matched to a slightly larger piston. The differences in size were below the normal factory oversized piston/ring sizes of 0.25mm and 0.50mm over norm sold for 'way down the road rebuilds'

Thus if replacing a cylinder before 'rebore/rebuild' time, Honda wants the service tech to note the size, and make sure the cylinder is the optimum fit for the 'A' or 'B' sized piston that was assembled at the factory for the engine in hand.

As supporting data, Honda parts used to list A and B cylinders AND A and B pistons as replacement part options.

Link below has finer detail on sizing:
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 315#p87315
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

On the practical side - assuming your Spree has normal wear, the A or B cyl and piston match likely is no longer important. The piston will have worn, and any lower mile cylinder also has wear. Again the part size difference was not large.

You would likely get the closest fit by sourcing an oversize piston/ring set, and have your existing cylinder bored to fit.
52north
BMX
BMX

Post by 52north »

Thanks for the explanation mousewheels.