Elite sa50p stalls after big bore kit

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

nhscooterguy
Noob
Noob

Elite sa50p stalls after big bore kit

Post by nhscooterguy »

I have a 1994 Elite SA50p, de-restricted variator, aftermarket exhaust, stock carb up-jetted to 100, Malossi 72cc BBK installed.

Since the big bore kit install, anytime I run the scooter over about 30-32 MPH for more than 10 seconds, the scooter dies. Originally using a 78 main jet. After increasing the jet size it seemed to improve a little. I do not have a CHT installed however, I ordered one. My question is:

What can I do to keep it from dying out? Should I further increase the jet size? Or should I just buy a bigger carb?

Thank you for your help!
nhscooterguy
Noob
Noob

Re: Elite sa50p stalls after big bore kit

Post by nhscooterguy »

This is the exhaust. It seems all my problems started after installing this. I installed it with the stock bore and blew the motor soon after. I assume I am running too hot. Any thoughts on proper carburetor size?

https://www.amazon.com/FLYPIG-Dio-Elite ... 2897450530
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

I am tempted to say it's that exhaust pipe connection to the cylinder that's leaking but there's no way for me to tell from here. Then, I could say that the Chinese made exhaust pipe that you spent a hundred bucks for is a poorly designed piece of metal tubing that is wasting your fuel and you should buy a real "tuned" performance pipe so you'll be able to get real performance from it, but that would sound pretty mean. So I'll just say that it's possible that you have an air leak somewhere and it's possibly caused by a flaw in the installation of your Malossi BBK. By that I mean there may be a gasket or connection that is allowing unwanted/unregulated/unfiltered air into the fuel mixture? Or, it's possible that you do not have the stock air box properly installed with a properly oiled and installed correct air filter and that's causing a lean mixture? YES! You do need a cht! Where did you miss that in your reading thru these pages? Be sure the exhaust connection to the cylinder is not one of the leaks because that is as close to the combustion chamber as it gets besides the spark plug and will surely result in the destruction of your Malossi BBK. Go back over everything and test for leaks and correct any that you find.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
nhscooterguy
Noob
Noob

Post by nhscooterguy »

I was pretty meticulous when I installed the kit. I replaced all the gaskets and followed the intructions to the "T". The exhaust doesn't leak, the link wasn't the exact one but it looks like that. It had really good reviews and I've seen others running the same setup without any issues. I'm still wondering if I just need a bigger carb. I read through some posts where others were having similar issues with overheating and a bigger carb solved the problem.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Wow! So you can’t give us a pic of the actual pipe? 🍿🎣 That’s ok. What matters here is that you’re telling us the 100 mainjet in a stock carb is still too small?!?! Put whatever size carb you want on it. If there are leaking connections/gaskets then it will still be difficult to tune. If it reveals that the stock carb was the culprit then you’re golden! 😎
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861