1984 Honda Spree wont start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

wingman47
Noob
Noob

1984 Honda Spree wont start

Post by wingman47 »

Hello

I have a 1984 Honda Spree that I cant get started. It started and ran fine the last time I used it which, was about a month ago. Now it wont start. It has spark, I replaced the spark plug and seems to be getting fuel. Any ideas? Thanks
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Re: 1984 Honda Spree wont start

Post by vintagegarage »

make sure the kill switch on the right handlebar is not in the stop position..
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

Could be a lot of things.... Is spark plug wet? Check crank seals (left side sometimes comes loose). Does it have compression? Is carb CLEAN? Is air filter in good condition(not crumbly)? Timing correct? It's winter in Minnesota and 2 strokes sometimes don't run in the cold weather. How warm is it where you are? Good luck!
motormike

Post by motormike »

Since it ran fine a month ago, you ask yourself, "what changed "?
Not starting it for a month can result in an hard-to-start condition. During hot months especially,
gas will evaporate from the carb bowl , making it take a long time to get fuel filled into the bowl enough to fire.
Eliminate the 3 things first....1. is it getting fuel? 2...is it firing?....3. is it pushing good air through the muffler feeling like compression?
Sitting for while, the muffler can get clogged by insects building nests in them. Other things can happen to clog it too, oil for example.
Mice can damage wires, fuel lines, oil lines, everything.
Do some inspection...report back.

RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
B_davis49
Noob
Noob

Post by B_davis49 »

I have a 1985 honda spree and it made a loud pop and stopped but when I press the electric start button it dont go anywhere and the shop said its locked up is that an easy fix and why causes it to be locked up because the shop quoted me 700 to rebuild and I dont got a that kinda dough
Please help
Im new to the sprees