Help with starter issue 84 125 aero

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

thedragonknight
Noob
Noob

Help with starter issue 84 125 aero

Post by thedragonknight »

Hi everyone,

Just bought a Honda aero 125 that I had been told was parked running but had been sitting a couple years, but I'm guessing based on my issue that was not the case. I'm not super mechanically savey, but figured at $200 I would take a shot at it. The rear wheel was locked up, which I have since fixed, but I am having no luck starting the thing. I can hear the starter spinning when I press the power button, but it doesn't seem to be engaging anything. There is a loud bell like dinging sound when it spins. Here is a video of the sound in question: https://youtu.be/CG10pTYUjBw

Has anyone had this issue and if so what was the fix? I know parts for these are hard to come by due to it being a one year model. But I really want to get this running for my girlfriend so if anyone can offer some advice on what to start looking at that would be great. I figure I probably need to pull the whole engine and replace the starter, but if I can avoid that and there's something else I should be trying please let me know.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any input.
motormike

Re: Help with starter issue 84 125 aero

Post by motormike »

Remove the CVT cover.
The starter motor has a "pinion assembly" that you may call a "Bendix".
The "ding" sound is coming from the pinion assembly hitting the starter gear, but failing to fully engage.
Maybe the pinion assembly can be cleaned and it will work right...maybe not.
Check for missing or damaged teeth on gear or pinion.
You should be able to determine something by a visual inspection....motormike..... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"