Oil pump delete/oil reservoir removal

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Lazertits
Noob
Noob

Oil pump delete/oil reservoir removal

Post by Lazertits »

Total noob here, i have deleted my oil pump on my 86 Spree. Do people also remove the oil reservoir as well? can it be removed? Just cap it and leave it? Thanks for any help.
motormike

Re: Oil pump delete/oil reservoir removal

Post by motormike »

Lazertits wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:03 pm Total noob here, i have deleted my oil pump on my 86 Spree.
Why did you do that ?
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Lazertits
Noob
Noob

Post by Lazertits »

motormike wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:03 pm
Lazertits wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:03 pm Total noob here, i have deleted my oil pump on my 86 Spree.
Why did you do that ?
From my understanding it’s pretty common to do the oil pump delete is it not?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Lots of pump deletes any time the owner of a variated AF05 or AF16 assembles a big-bore. The plug for the pump socket of those engines is available everywhere. I wasn't so sure there was a Spree-specific pump plug, or if the AF plug just also fits the Spree. The oil pump is generally reliable but sometimes the internal o-rings get leaky and cause excessive oil to leak into the crankcase while the scooter is parked. This makes for a great deal of Smoke upon restart. This is one reason to consider deleting the pump on an un-modded Spree.

The Pump also creates minute amount of drag on the crank, but maybe enough to make a difference if you are starting with only 3HP. I personally mix at 32:1 gas/oil. But yeah, the tank can be left in place empty or removed if that suits you. You do have to be sure the oil line nipple is securely blocked along with the pump socket or the engine will suck air with unfortunate consequences.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Lazertits
Noob
Noob

Post by Lazertits »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:27 pm Greetings:

Lots of pump deletes any time the owner of a variated AF05 or AF16 assembles a big-bore. The plug for the pump socket of those engines is available everywhere. I wasn't so sure there was a Spree-specific pump plug, or if the AF plug just also fits the Spree. The oil pump is generally reliable but sometimes the internal o-rings get leaky and cause excessive oil to leak into the crankcase while the scooter is parked. This makes for a great deal of Smoke upon restart. This is one reason to consider deleting the pump on an un-modded Spree.

The Pump also creates minute amount of drag on the crank, but maybe enough to make a difference if you are starting with only 3HP. I personally mix at 32:1 gas/oil. But yeah, the tank can be left in place empty or removed if that suits you. You do have to be sure the oil line nipple is securely blocked along with the pump socket or the engine will suck air with unfortunate consequences.
I ordered a oil delete plug from scooterswapshop. Just hadn’t really read anything about anyone removing the oil reservoir, thank you for the info! For every gallon of gas I have been doing 4oz of oil. I am also running a stock engine 86 spree.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:
=
Yes 4 oz per gallon is 128/4 or 32:1. Seems to be the consensus here but some prefer 40:1 or higher for less smoke. If you change the oil ratio significantly, you should consider jetting changes. More oil = less fuel = leaner, may need bigger jet. Less oil = more fuel = richer, may need smaller. I'm not sure if going from 32:1 to 40:1 matters enough to swap jets, but it might.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Lazertits
Noob
Noob

Post by Lazertits »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:43 am Greetings:
=
Yes 4 oz per gallon is 128/4 or 32:1. Seems to be the consensus here but some prefer 40:1 or higher for less smoke. If you change the oil ratio significantly, you should consider jetting changes. More oil = less fuel = leaner, may need bigger jet. Less oil = more fuel = richer, may need smaller. I'm not sure if going from 32:1 to 40:1 matters enough to swap jets, but it might.
Thank you for all the information!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You're welcome! I learned from you that SSS sells a Spree-specific oil pump delete plug, of which I wasn't previously aware. Thank you for that. One time I plumbed the tank on my AF16 to serve as space for an extra quart of fuel. Unfortunately the rubber fitting at the base of the oil tank, while tight enough to retain thicker oil, leaked fuel a little bit so I rethunk. Not willing to risk a fiery conflagration. Might work with compression fittings, but more trouble for me than it was worth.
Wheelman-111
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Rather than "deleting" the oil tank, seems like I read that folks use it to carry oil for mixing at the pump. If you could run a line from the tank to an on/off valve that is easily accessible, then you could just carry your 4 oz measuring container and have plenty of oil whenever needed.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
Lazertits
Noob
Noob

Post by Lazertits »

breaze wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:38 pm Rather than "deleting" the oil tank, seems like I read that folks use it to carry oil for mixing at the pump. If you could run a line from the tank to an on/off valve that is easily accessible, then you could just carry your 4 oz measuring container and have plenty of oil whenever needed.
That is a great idea!