Seized front shocks?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

fireblade
Spree
Spree

Seized front shocks?

Post by fireblade »

So a while ago I got a Honda dio off Facebook marketplace. Bought it off a complete loser. I spent quite a while undoing all the f*cktardery that it had been subjected to. And got it running. It goes pretty well.
But the front forks were seized. I pulled the front wheel off, and only one shock seemed to be seized. So I swapped It out for a spare. But the front forks still didnt work. So i went and got another spare fork, and swapped that in. But it still steers very wooden.
I cant help but wonder if the cast (or forged?) Section that the tubes bolt into could be bent? And maybe 5hats causing the two staunchens to fight each other and bind? There was some damage to the plastics, but the front wheel runs true. (I parted out a dio once, and the front wheel was buckled as all * from an impact)

Any suggestions?
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"
Wheelman-111

Re: Seized front shocks?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Dismantle. Put a long straight dowel through the bolt holes and see which way they are askew. If it really is the damper unit(s), Ebay has some cheap shock sets labeled for C100 Passport that actually bolt right in to the front end of the SA50 here in US. I'll try to send a link later.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
fireblade
Spree
Spree

Post by fireblade »

Thanks wheelman.
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

fireblade wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:08 pm So a while ago I got a Honda dio off Facebook marketplace. Bought it off a complete loser. I spent quite a while undoing all the f*cktardery that it had been subjected to. And got it running. It goes pretty well.
But the front forks were seized. I pulled the front wheel off, and only one shock seemed to be seized. So I swapped It out for a spare. But the front forks still didnt work. So i went and got another spare fork, and swapped that in. But it still steers very wooden.
I cant help but wonder if the cast (or forged?) Section that the tubes bolt into could be bent? And maybe 5hats causing the two staunchens to fight each other and bind? There was some damage to the plastics, but the front wheel runs true. (I parted out a dio once, and the front wheel was buckled as all * from an impact)

Any suggestions?
This poster is from New Zealand. I believe the dio he spaks of is an SK50 rather than an SA50 and the shocks are different for these two models. This post is also confusing as the poster uses the terms "forks" and "shocks" which can be intrepeted incorrectly. A few pics could prove useful and I should point out that some models of the SK50 are also front disc brake equipped. :surprise:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
fireblade
Spree
Spree

Post by fireblade »

This guy ^ is bang on.
It's a drum brake scoot.
It doesnt look bent. That's the odd thing.
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"