Honda Dio 2 Buildout Help - AF18E

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

hippo008
Noob
Noob

Honda Dio 2 Buildout Help - AF18E

Post by hippo008 »

Hi there,

I'm building my first Honda motor coming from the Jog/Minarelli world. I'm planning out my build right now. I'm looking for something reliable that won't require any serious case machining for the crank webs. The current plan is a Polini Corsa Ministroker with the 43.4mm ScooterTuning crank, a Stage6 big valve intake and some combination of pipe and carb. This is where my experience fails me. Carb and pipe sizing have been a challenge for me. I asked around and here's what I heard.

The PG Short pipe is recommended. The Arrow Limited is also fairly good. Any recommendations?

Carbs are huge on Dio setups, people seem to like 26mm flatslides a lot. I'm not sure what to use. It's left me scratching my head. :newb:

As for the CVT setup I'll probably end up with the oversize ZX kit unless there's a better option out there.

Here's my scoot. Very excited for this JDM beauty. https://i.imgur.com/y9cLaAM.jpg
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Honda Dio 2 Buildout Help - AF18E

Post by Meatball »

Skip the mini and go with stock stroke. Much easier to tune and the gains with mini vs stock crank is minimal unless youre going for timeslips at the track.

24mm carb is plenty big for Corsa. No matter mini or stock crank. Anything bigger and youre just wasting fuel.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
hippo008
Noob
Noob

Post by hippo008 »

Hi there,

I'll skip the mini stroker then. Carb sizing is a bit of an issue. Should I go down to a 21 then? I like the Dellorto PHGB carbs already.

As for the pipe I'm not sure what I want. The PG short and Arrow both seen good. Any suggestions?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The Arrow is double the price of PG....and worth every d*** penny. However, the PG is a good pipe for a budget build. Depends on your bankroll. The Dellorto carbs are good quality but my heart is with Polini. You cant go wrong with either brand. I think 24mm is the sweet spot for the Corsa but you can get 21mm or 26mm to work fine...any bigger or smaller then that is no bueno. My mini-stroked, race ported Corsa build didnt like a 28mm Pwk but when I switched to the 24mm it tuned easily and rips. Same carb I use on a basic “bolt-on” Corsa build. The bore just likes the 24.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

I agree, skip the mini stroke crank. If you want to do a crank the Malossi is a great and d*** near Indestructible, I will run an arrow of the PG for performance. The only downside to the arrow is that it’s a bit loud compared to the PG.
hippo008
Noob
Noob

Post by hippo008 »

I'm resurrecting my dead thread in hopes of some sage advice!

The build has changed pretty dramatically. I have my corsa build in another Dio right now and I'm having some trouble with my current setup. I have a 51mm PG bore meant for a 44mm stroke crank of which I also have. It works out to be a 90cc~ setup.

I have a NCY pipe on there right now with a 28mm SunWorldRacing carb on a Stage6 intake. I have been unable to get this carb in tune for the life of me. I started with a large 165 jet and it died right away. I went down to the 140s and I was still getting that coughing and bogging noise, the bike just wouldn't pull. I went down to a 138 and the bike got LEAN. It was making that classic WAAA sound and Temps were spiking, it felt like there was no power. I'm at a total loss, I'm wondering if my carb is simply too large. I have a Polini PWK 26 I could try, but I'm not sure how much a difference it will make.

Any thoughts?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

That carb has the power jet feature which has been known to be troublesome to tune. Block the power jet with a bb or switch to a pwk style of quality meaning Polini 24 or 26
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
hippo008
Noob
Noob

Post by hippo008 »

I'm going to swap the PWK 26 on there. I have a polini pwk 24 on my corsa w/ C16 and I don't want to take that apart.

The mini stroker or 125cc full stroker is going in my Dio Baja. I want a special build for a special bike!